• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(newbie)Receive agreement for reprensentation form after consulation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aircw2005

Hi friends in the forum:

Last week we wanted to consult with an attorney regarding our contract with a general contractor, as we have some disputes with the GC. We spoke with the attorney over the phone for an hour.

After a few days, we received a form of "Agreement for legal representations" from the form. We're confused as we don't specify that we want the firm to represent us in further legal actions.

I wonder if that's some standard procedure that if we spoke to a firm, then it is assumed that the firm is assumed to represent us?

I know it is a newbie question and appreciate any suggestion/advice.

LdiJ

Hi friends in the forum:

Last week we wanted to consult with an attorney regarding our contract with a general contractor, as we have some disputes with the GC. We spoke with the attorney over the phone for an hour.

After a few days, we received a form of "Agreement for legal representations" from the form. We're confused as we don't specify that we want the firm to represent us in further legal actions.

I wonder if that's some standard procedure that if we spoke to a firm, then it is assumed that the firm is assumed to represent us?

I know it is a newbie question and appreciate any suggestion/advice.
If you do not want to retain the attorney, then do not sign the form.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
No, it's not, but it may be the typical thing that particular attorney does. Or it may be that the attorney was left with the impression after your call that you wanted him/her to represent you. In any event, if you don’t want to hire that attorney don’t sign the agreement. If you do want to hire that attorney, read that contract carefully to be sure you agree with everything in it before you sign it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">