• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i petition a business out of my neighborhood

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jackstap.

What is the name of your state? wasington

this business just got put in and theirs no parking lot but the owner has cameras pointing directly at my house he continues to call law enforcement and i keep getting a $500 ticket every time he calls and it all on ridiculous stuff all my neighbors dont like them ether but the police will not do ANYTHING we got told we cant look at there business when thats all you see when you walk out of the house i own tickets are coming in faster then i can pay them HELPPPP!!! this business is affecting more then me and every one its affecting are disabled as well as me

Jackstap.

there trying to force me out of my house... i pay my mortgage every thing for this house is paid completely on the 1st of every single month

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No - you may wish to consider not violating the law if you wish to avoid tickets.

You ARE allowed to place your own cameras if you so desire, I'm not sure who told you that you "cant look at there business".

quincy

What is the name of your state? wasington

this business just got put in and theirs no parking lot but the owner has cameras pointing directly at my house he continues to call law enforcement and i keep getting a $500 ticket every time he calls and it all on ridiculous stuff all my neighbors dont like them ether but the police will not do ANYTHING we got told we cant look at there business when thats all you see when you walk out of the house i own tickets are coming in faster then i can pay them HELPPPP!!! this business is affecting more then me and every one its affecting are disabled as well as me
For what reason are you being ticketed?

Jackstap.

my yard looks like trash but code enforcement says it looks fine i had a truck my son was fixing but it was an "eyesoar" so i had to get rid of it ever since then code enforcement has left us alone

edit: many houses in my area got baught fixed and sold so my house is the odd one out

Jackstap.

i took each and every ticket to court. ive seen the rcw in fact i put up a sign to let people know im a nuisance but is there any way i can petition the business to be removed they are causing problems with more then just me

LdiJ

i took each and every ticket to court. ive seen the rcw in fact i put up a sign to let people know im a nuisance but is there any way i can petition the business to be removed they are causing problems with more then just me
Can you tell us more about the business and the overall situation?

quincy

You can petition to have the business relocated if its current location is adversely affecting you and your neighbors in your residential area. You and your neighbors probably could have protested when your neighborhood was first proposed as a location for the business.

If zoning allows for the operation of the type of business that is currently located next to your house, however, and the business was approved by your city, you might find any protests or petitions at this point in time futile ones.

You cannot successfully use the fact that the business reported your code violations to support your petition. If the business has violated any laws, however, those can be used as support.

HRZ

UNless you are the target of selective enforcement based on race, sex, religion or some protected characteristic..Local law / code enforcement can pick on you all day long for weeds or junk cars or whatever ....I had a neighbor who would call codes if a blade of my grass had a growth spurt ...adapt!!

quincy

It would be nice to know what type of business has moved in next door to Jackstap. I know of some businesses that were originally approved for an area that were forced to close down because of their clientele.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I think that was not a good idea.

You have been very non-specific about your issues with this business.

If the zoning allows for that kind of business, or they have obtained a variance to allow for that kind of business, then their business is allowed to be there.

If there are specific issues with what is going on at the business, to the detriment of the neighborhood, then you have to determine what is the legally correct way to address these problems. But you can't just say, "I don't want them here. I don't like them." A petition just makes you seem small minded, from what little you've posted.

You can, however, file complaints about any of their code violations.

And if they violate certain laws, that can result in their closure.

For example, if they are selling alcohol without a liquor license, that's something that can be reported. (In my town it seems to require at least 2 machete incidents before police will do something.)

If they are creating a specific public nuisance, and there is no law against such a nuisance, you can work with your neighbors and local government to see if the code can/should be amended to address such public nuisances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">