• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lease signed, deposit and prorated rent paid for. Approved and move in date set.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Texas

I made sure that my move in date was set and that I got approved for my lease. Assistant manager said everything was good to go I just had to set up electric.

I even met with manager on Monday, gave her the deposit, prorated rent and pay stubs proving I make enough to rent here.

She said everything was good, and that I will be ready to move in wed jun 20

move in day comes, I get a truck and load it up. I called the office multiple times, and left a voicemail asking someone to call me back because I had lost of questions on how move in day works, how I get the keys and some other questions.

I got a friend to agree to help me move, and my brother was bringing my car to apartment so i can return truck close by after unloading.

Things fell behind time wise and I tried to update them, no answer or reply yet.

I get there late, but before I called after hours operator who got a hold of the assistant manager, he agreed to bring my keys by.

I get there but no sign of him, so i called operator back. She said the manager told him he couldn't do that, she yelled at the operator and then said I have to come back during office hours.

I only have truck till 10 am, apt office opens at 9 am.

I had to cancel a doctors appointment and my brother luckily called his boss saying hell be late. But there is no way two people can move everything in less than 1 hour, and now I am going to get charged late fees for truck.

I emailed them and also left them a voicemail expressing how I'm insulted, confused and upset and I did not understand why this was happening. I have very high anxiety, and lots of issues going on right now.... I also tried my best to contact them and keep them updated today but heard nothing from them. I also felt like the operator and her supervisor were extremely rude and inconsiderate.

I am moving to get out of a toxic situation, and they both know, that's why they set my date ASAP and approved me, they have done a lot to help me and I don't want to be a problem tenant.

1. How to I avoid late fees on truck?
2. Is this even legal for her to do that? Because the assistant manager was happy to bring me the keys AND THEY NEVER CONTACTED ME BACK during office hours or told me that I had to get keys during office hours when I asked them if I needed to know anything. I also never got a copy of the lease or any policies about move in
3. How do I fix things if my voicemail/email upsets them?

I cant sleep because I don't want to ruin this. I also have to work tomorrow. Today was the day set aside and planned to move. Life just happened and made things take way longer than planned and now I'm freaking out.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Texas

I made sure that my move in date was set and that I got approved for my lease. Assistant manager said everything was good to go I just had to set up electric.

I even met with manager on Monday, gave her the deposit, prorated rent and pay stubs proving I make enough to rent here.

She said everything was good, and that I will be ready to move in wed jun 20

move in day comes, I get a truck and load it up. I called the office multiple times, and left a voicemail asking someone to call me back because I had lost of questions on how move in day works, how I get the keys and some other questions.

I got a friend to agree to help me move, and my brother was bringing my car to apartment so i can return truck close by after unloading.

Things fell behind time wise and I tried to update them, no answer or reply yet.

I get there late, but before I called after hours operator who got a hold of the assistant manager, he agreed to bring my keys by.

I get there but no sign of him, so i called operator back. She said the manager told him he couldn't do that, she yelled at the operator and then said I have to come back during office hours.

I only have truck till 10 am, apt office opens at 9 am.

I had to cancel a doctors appointment and my brother luckily called his boss saying hell be late. But there is no way two people can move everything in less than 1 hour, and now I am going to get charged late fees for truck.

I emailed them and also left them a voicemail expressing how I'm insulted, confused and upset and I did not understand why this was happening. I have very high anxiety, and lots of issues going on right now.... I also tried my best to contact them and keep them updated today but heard nothing from them. I also felt like the operator and her supervisor were extremely rude and inconsiderate.

I am moving to get out of a toxic situation, and they both know, that's why they set my date ASAP and approved me, they have done a lot to help me and I don't want to be a problem tenant.

1. How to I avoid late fees on truck?
2. Is this even legal for her to do that? Because the assistant manager was happy to bring me the keys AND THEY NEVER CONTACTED ME BACK during office hours or told me that I had to get keys during office hours when I asked them if I needed to know anything. I also never got a copy of the lease or any policies about move in
3. How do I fix things if my voicemail/email upsets them?

I cant sleep because I don't want to ruin this. I also have to work tomorrow. Today was the day set aside and planned to move. Life just happened and made things take way longer than planned and now I'm freaking out.
If you were rude or insulting in your email or messages then apologize sincerely.

This was not their fault. It should have been common sense to you to go to the office and get the keys, before you even started loading the truck.

If you were rude or insulting in your email or messages then apologize sincerely.

This was not their fault. It should have been common sense to you to go to the office and get the keys, before you even started loading the truck.
I was not rude at all, just expressed that I was upset and that I had tried contacting them and left a voicemail asking them to call me back. I was trying to get ahold of them about the keys mainly. This is the first apartment that I have ever had not given me a copy of the lease, policies and first apartment that did not allow me to get the keys after hours or explain when/how I would need to get the keys.

I was not rude at all, just expressed that I was upset and that I had tried contacting them and left a voicemail asking them to call me back. I was trying to get ahold of them about the keys mainly. This is the first apartment that I have ever had not given me a copy of the lease, policies and first apartment that did not allow me to get the keys after hours or explain when/how I would need to get the keys.

I just explained how I contacted them multiple times in the morning, how I never got back when I requested one and how I was upset how things turned out and that I was now in a difficult situation and wanted them to know I was upset about the lack of communication from them when all I wanted to do was make sure I did everything right.

LdiJ

I just explained how I contacted them multiple times in the morning, how I never got back when I requested one and how I was upset how things turned out and that I was now in a difficult situation and wanted them to know I was upset about the lack of communication from them when all I wanted to do was make sure I did everything right.
It was unprofessional of them not to return your phone calls. However, again, you should have gone to the office and collected the keys when you realized you were not getting a phone call back.

HRZ

AS an aside you should have had and kept a signed copy of the lease well ahead of time.

I fail to see where you have a legal point as to the "confusion " over keys ...and I think it's 99% your bad judgement not to have secured keys a bit ahead of time or confirmed access arrangements

It was unprofessional of them not to return your phone calls. However, again, you should have gone to the office and collected the keys when you realized you were not getting a phone call back.
I underatand that but I Am moving from very south to very north. It

Gail in Georgia

Your questions regarding moving in should have been asked on Monday prior to you signing the lease.

It was your problem; not managements that time got away from you and you were not able to be present to move in when the office was open. You cannot expect management to wait up all hours of the evening or night with keys until you manage to show up to move in.

What you do is show up at 9 when the office opens up, get the keys, do the moving in, pay the late fees for the truck and get on with your life.

You are not the first person to have this happen to. This sort of issue is fairly common. It will work itself out. Sometimes I think about moving. Then I look around at all the stuff I have and go lie down and take a nap.

Gail

Your questions regarding moving in should have been asked on Monday prior to you signing the lease.

It was your problem; not managements that time got away from you and you were not able to be present to move in when the office was open. You cannot expect management to wait up all hours of the evening or night with keys until you manage to show up to move in.

What you do is show up at 9 when the office opens up, get the keys, do the moving in, pay the late fees for the truck and get on with your life.

You are not the first person to have this happen to. This sort of issue is fairly common. It will work itself out. Sometimes I think about moving. Then I look around at all the stuff I have and go lie down and take a nap.

Gail
I asked the manager verbatim what I needed to do on Wednesday to move in when I saw her Monday and she said set up electric. She did not include the fact that they don’t have an on call manager living on site and that I have to pick up the keys during office hours. I have had many friends move in after office hours and receive the keys as they arrive. The assistant manager was happy to bring them by to me and she called him off. It’s not like I arrived after 8 pm asking for the keys. It was still hours where people are awake. When I asked her what I needed to do to move in on Wednesday and that is when she should of told me their policy on key pick up.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I asked the manager verbatim what I needed to do on Wednesday to move in when I saw her Monday and she said set up electric. She did not include the fact that they don’t have an on call manager living on site and that I have to pick up the keys during office hours. I have had many friends move in after office hours and receive the keys as they arrive. The assistant manager was happy to bring them by to me and she called him off. It’s not like I arrived after 8 pm asking for the keys. It was still hours where people are awake. When I asked her what I needed to do to move in on Wednesday and that is when she should of told me their policy on key pick up.
I agree with the others. It's common sense that, to do business with a business, you have to do it during business hours. Deal with the late fees, etc.
I'm sorry that you're not hearing what you want to hear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">