• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health club rate increase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dnrmil

What is the name of your state? Florida

I joined a health club in 2016 with a monthly payment as a pre-opening rate. There is no locked in term, just require 60day notice to cancel. I was told that my rate would never change. I’ve now been informed that they will be increasing my rate 50% next month to bring me in line with franchise pricing. My agreement does not have any type of escalation rates noted. When I asked where the contract agreement provides for this increase they pointed to this statement.
“AMENDING OF RULES”. The club reserves the right to amend or add to these rules and conditions and to adopt new rules and conditions as it may deem necessary for the proper management of the club “

The rules listed above this statement relate to hours, guests, clothing, instruction, equipment usage, safety, children, etc.

Does this sound like an appropriate reason to allow a rate increase?

Dnrmil

I have my agreement that show my payment schedule. There is a section for 1st payment schedule. Under the number of payments it says “open” and then my monthly rate which is what I have paid for the last 18 months. The sections for 2nd and 3rd payment schedules are blank so I assumed that supported the no increase in rates. Unfortunately I did not save the promotional mailing that I received for the early enrollment.

Thanks for your reply.

adjusterjack

I was told
The most dangerous words in the English language.

“AMENDING OF RULES”. The club reserves the right to amend or add to these rules and conditions and to adopt new rules and conditions as it may deem necessary for the proper management of the club “

The rules listed above this statement relate to hours, guests, clothing, instruction, equipment usage, safety, children, etc.

Does this sound like an appropriate reason to allow a rate increase?
Yes.

There is no locked in term, just require 60day notice to cancel.
My take on it is that the price increase (or even any change in the rules) is a cancellation of the old agreement and replacement with a new agreement so they would owe you 60 days notice of the rate increase.

HRZ

paragraph headers do not count in construction of meaning .

But explain how a rule or condition means a rate...its,sloppy at best and rule of thumb is ambiguities run against the side that wrote it ..
All,said...if you insist the contract does not provide for rate increases...assume they will invite you to depart?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">