• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UPDATED TO LESS TEXT: HELP ASAP: Can a landlord legally hold the keys for your apartment because you came after hours on your move in date?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I live in Texas.
Last week I applied, signed and got approved for a lease. My move in date was set for Wed June 20th.

Monday I paid deposit and prorated rent. Asked if there was anything else besides setting up electric left for me to do. Was told no, and I was all set to move in wed.

Today things got behind, I called multiple times and got no reply. Left a voicemail asking for them to call me back because I had important questions (Like how and when will I get the keys since today was my set move in date/start of lease)

I have already paid deposit, signed lease, paid prorated rent and was told I was approved and good to go to move in today (the set move in date)

I called multiple times during office hours and could not get ahold of anyone. I was needing to tell them I was running behind, but only had my moving truck today and could only move in today, so I needed the keys..

Called after hours services, they got ahold of assistant manager and he was gonna meet me to get me my keys.
Called them again to get an update, and then they told me that the manager told him he cannot do that and that I had to come back tomorrow during offices hours..

I was very upset because on Monday when I asked manager all these questions, she never told me it had to be during offices hours to pick up my keys. She refused entry into my apartment on my lease/agreed move in date just because moving took longer than I thought.

Had I been told that before I would of picked them up before I started loading truck

I have to turn in truck 1 hour after they open tomorrow.

I had to cancel appointments and will be late to work and possibly have no one else to help me unload truck

I'm very confused because the assistant manager was going to bring me my keys and let me enter MY APARTMENT that I paid for..

I paid deposit and prorated rent early, even though I was told they were needed on move in date (june 20)

After hour operator tried to help but then the manger yelled at her and told the assistant manager he was not allowed to bring me the keys

TODAY (June 20) is the day I was supposed to move in. I got off work for it, found two people to help me move, and even paid almost $200 for a rental truck. I tried my best to get there before they closed and did everything I could to let them know I might be running late and how I could handle that.

I left them a voicemail and email about how insulted and confused I was, and how now I am in a very bad position and do not know what to do because I have to return my truck in the morning or pay major late fees.

This all happened on my set lease start date and move in date. No one told me any polices or gave me a copy of my lease. No one told me how to aquire my keys, the manager (not assistant manager) told me I had nothing to worry about and that I would be able to get moved in this day.

Today was hectic and fell apart in many ways, which is why I was late. I am very upset and don't know how to handle this in the morning when I go in.

They are aware of how upset I am, they are also aware I am moving to get out of a very toxic and bad situation, which is why they set my move in date so quickly and said they wanted to ensure I am safe and taken care of.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I gave up reading that about 1/3 of the way through the first post. That big block of text, with no white spaces between paragraphs, and full of unnecessary detail made it nearly impossible to read. If you edit it down, and add some white space between paragraphs, it would help you get some advice.

I gave up reading that about 1/3 of the way through the first post. That big block of text, with no white spaces between paragraphs, and full of unnecessary detail made it nearly impossible to read. If you edit it down, and add some white space between paragraphs, it would help you get some advice.
fixing that now! sorry I was ranting

Cut down and fixed. Please reread and help me :((((

adjusterjack

Well, business hours are business hours. I don't see where anybody has to tell you that they only do business during business hours. It should be a given.

I don't see where anybody did anything to you for which you could successfully take any legal action.

Go get your keys today, during business hours, then you can move in whenever you want.

Chalk it up to experience.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
"This all happened on my set lease start date and move in date. No one told me any polices or gave me a copy of my lease. No one told me how to aquire my keys, the manager (not assistant manager) told me I had nothing to worry about and that I would be able to get moved in this day."

I'm going to assume this is your first time renting an apartment/home? If so, you must realize that it's incumbent upon you to 1) read the lease thoroughly before signing, 2) get a copy of said lease AT THE TIME you sign it, and 3) ask about keys.

The fact that you didn't understand that one can ONLY get keys during the hours the office is open for business is on you, not them. Chalk it up to a life lesson and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">