• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS FOR SUBROGATION CLAIMS IN CALIFORNIA AUTO ACCIDENT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

Subrogation time limits aren't any different than the time limit for the claim being subrogated. For property damage, that's three years. For personal injury, two years.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Subrogation time limits aren't any different than the time limit for the claim being subrogated. For property damage, that's three years. For personal injury, two years.
I know what you are saying, but to be 100% accurate, there is no time-limit for subrogation. Subrogation is simply negotiations between two parties...those negotiations have no time-bar to them. It's only when it gets to court that a statute of limitations come in to play. If both parties are willing to negotiate 20 years after the fact (an extreme example), then they can have at it.

adjusterjack

To make it clear for the poster, a statute of limitations is a deadline for filing a lawsuit.

If both parties are willing to negotiate 20 years after the fact (an extreme example), then they can have at it.
Extreme is right (LOL). If you haven't sued me by the deadline, your action is time barred and I'm not negotiating squat.

FlyingRon

Why would anybody negotiate anything that's beyond the statute of limitations?

And to be NITPICKY, subrogation doesn't mean negotiation. It means substitution of one party for another.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">