• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Detaining a Minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xylene

You put a kid in a compliance hold.

You need something for your anger. (therapy, AM, etc)

It seriously is something your lawyer might like to see you doing too.

quincy

You put a kid in a compliance hold.

You need something for your anger. (therapy, AM, etc)

It seriously is something your lawyer might like to see you doing too.
It certainly appears that Andy's reaction to four door-knocks in two hours is outside the norm.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Speaking as someone whose second job used to be the night desk at a hotel, the correct procedure would have been to make the hotel aware of the problem. It is their responsibility to deal with a misbehaving guest, not yours.

quincy

Speaking as someone whose second job used to be the night desk at a hotel, the correct procedure would have been to make the hotel aware of the problem. It is their responsibility to deal with a misbehaving guest, not yours.
I would think the reasonable guest would not open the door to random door-knocks but instead would contact the front desk.

But maybe I am thinking of what could happen in the Detroit area if you open the door without knowing who is on the other side.

HRZ

Hopefully the young person was not looking for " customers " ...but as others correctly post, you went too far...and you darn well best use criminal defense counsel .

HRZ

Quincy posts :But maybe I am thinking of what could happen in the Detroit area if you open the door without knowing who is on the other side.

Been there in Detroit ...and some of my team complained of constant door knocks and some merely bypassed the locks .......

quincy

Quincy posts :But maybe I am thinking of what could happen in the Detroit area if you open the door without knowing who is on the other side.

Been there in Detroit ...and some of my team complained of constant door knocks and some merely bypassed the locks .......
It really depends on where you stay in the Detroit area. Random door knocks generally can be attributed to unsupervised kids running amok. But I don't think it smart for anyone to open a door to a random knocker.

xylene

But yeah, it makes no sense to have that level of contact over a ding-dong-ditch. With a minor no less.

HRZ

IF it was ones own teenaged child it might be within the limits of corporal punishment in Delaware Co, Pa ...but OP was not in that part of PA and the teen was not his child...and OP...best you have a good defense lawyer

quincy

IF it was ones own teenaged child it might be within the limits of corporal punishment in Delaware Co, Pa ...but OP was not in that part of PA and the teen was not his child...and OP...best you have a good defense lawyer
So ... because none of what you say applies here, the charges are what he was charged with - disorderly conduct and harassment.

xylene

quincy

Quiet honestly, I'm surprised he didn't catch a false imprisonment felony rap. Might have been a little bit of 'discretion' given the kid owned up to his antics. I could see it going the other way.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/LI/consCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&ttl=18&div=0&chpt=29&sctn=3&subsctn=0
There are all sorts of charges that could have resulted. But all sorts of charges DIDN'T result. He was charged with harassment and disorderly conduct - and it is quite possible that an attorney can get one of these charges dismissed, if not both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">