• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crime on camera

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acewin

What is the name of your state?SC

I was in a grocery store and took a photo under a woman's skirt. She made enough of a scene to alert employees which I am sure notified management but left and did not speak to anyone. I imiediatly left the premises. I am positive I was filmed on the stores surveillance cameras and likley in the act. Since the woman did not speak to anyone at the store do you think the store called the police? Can the store press charges even though they are not the victim? Can police look at the video and issue a warrant for my arrest? If so how long does this typically take? This happened about 24 hours ago.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Nobody here works for that store or the local police department, so there's no way we can know if they did. I hope they did, but I have no idea.

quincy

You can be arrested and criminally prosecuted based on the surveillance video. And the woman who was photographed can file a civil complaint against you.

You will want to hire a criminal defense attorney. You should not speak to the police - only your attorney.

Watch this video:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state?SC
Since the woman did not speak to anyone at the store do you think the store called the police?
How do you know she didn't speak to anyone after she left? She could have called the police or the store after leaving, after all.

Can the store press charges even though they are not the victim?
Only the prosecutor “presses charges.” Anyone who observed the crime may report it to the police or prosecutor. The prosecutor may choose to prosecute without any input from the victim.

Can police look at the video and issue a warrant for my arrest?
Yes.

If so how long does this typically take? This happened about 24 hours ago.
Once they identify who to name in the warrant, that can be done very quickly, perhaps in as little as 10 minutes depending on how the particular prosecutor and court are set up for review of warrant applications.

If you were the person identified in the news story that Xylene linked, do not admit to that in this thread. Doing that could come back to bite you. Instead, see a criminal defense attorney ASAP and if you are picked up by police or questioned by them, do not answer any questions about this without an attorney present.

Upskirting is getting more attention lately and nations and states are beginning to enact more serious penalties for doing it. I strongly recommend you never do this sort of thing again. Apart from the possibility of jail or prison time for this, it is a violation of the woman's privacy and can be deeply distressing; in short it’s an abhorrent thing to do to someone else. In comments I have seen by SC prosecutors upskirting can be prosecuted as a felony offense if the victim was not wearing any underwear. It may be a misdemeanor otherwise; legislation on that was proposed several years ago, though I do not know exactly what the final outcome of that was. Taking these photos is not going to be worth potentially spending a year or more in prison, having a serious criminal record, and in some states having to register as a sex offender, too.

xylene

Should we call Crime Stoppers?
I'm not calling on anybody, even though this is a pervo move.. I was googling "sc upskirt law' and that was in the top results and it happened as described about a day ago...

I suppose the fact that is makes the news and the police are looking for him and they know who the victim is does effectively answer almost all of his questions.

quincy

And that's IF the guy in the news story is Acewin. There is the possibility that South Carolina has more than one recent incident involving a fellow taking up skirt pictures.

quincy

True. But our poster here might not be the fellow pictured. If he IS the fellow pictured, posting to this site was another un-smart action on his part. He admitted to committing the crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">