• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving Speeding over 80 - traveling 85 MPH in a 70 Zone ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nileshdhake

I was traveling through Virginia from New Jersey on my way to North Carolina. I was pulled over in Emporia, Virginia on I-95. My violation is a 46.2-862 which I was speeding 85 MPH in a 70 MPH speed limit Zone. The court date is set on August 1st 2018.

My License is 2 Months Old.
It was a clear day. No Accident.
I need an attorney to represent me.
Please advise me with helpful information to get out of this situation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was traveling through Virginia from New Jersey on my way to North Carolina. I was pulled over in Emporia, Virginia on I-95. My violation is a 46.2-862 which I was speeding 85 MPH in a 70 MPH speed limit Zone. The court date is set on August 1st 2018.

Sorry, this is not an attorney referral service. You may wish to contact the Virginia State Bar or attorneypages.com.

Good luck - and slow down :)

xylene

I would prepare yourself for not getting out of this.
Set some money aside for lawyers and fines and for how to get around if your license is suspended.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

1) It's irrelevant that your license is only 2 months old.
2) It does not matter that it was a clear day, or that there was no accident. What matters is that you exceeded the speed limit.
3) It is good that you realize that you need an attorney. This forum is not the place to look for one.
4) To mitigate your legal consequences, in addition to getting a competent lawyer to represent you, be respectful in your dealings with court. This means that you dress appropriately for any appearance - clean neat clothes. It does not have to be a suit, especially if you do not own a suit, but it should convey that you take this seriously and respect the gravity of the situation. If you are a man, pants not jeans and certainly not shorts, nice shirt not a T shirt, and no flip flops. If you are a woman, similar advice, but you can also get away with a skirt or dress, just avoid leggings and stick with a demure top. No smirking, no scrolling on the phone or texting. Glum and contrite are okay.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You have been charged with a misdemeanor, which is a crime. You should get yourself an attorney. You may have even been contacted by a few already - they seem to check the online dockets and send out mailings to defendants.

Every General District Court in VA is a bit different. You need to get an attorney who is familiar with that particular GDC.

Good luck.

FlyingRon

Emporia is one of the speed trap jurisdictions. Did they give you a second form offering to waive jail time for you if you just pay it? In that case you can decide to pay it or not, but understand as HwyMan said, it is a misdemeanor. It will result in a permanent criminal record though people tend to not get worked up over traffic offenses.

If you want to fight it (or if you didn't get the jail waiver and MUST appear), I'd recommend an attorney. In fact, an attorney can appear for you in most cases. If your record is otherwise reasonably clean, these are almost always knocked down to a non-criminal infraction ( either regular speeding or improper driving).

When my wife got one of these, it cost me $400 or so for the attorney to "fix" it for her. You can just google "emporia lawyers" and start calling them. Alternatively, you can probably wait a few days until the arrest report hits the public computer and you'll get postcards from lawyers soliciting business.

Note you CAN go to jail over this. There are a few GDCs that will give you a few days in the tank for reckless even at relatively low speeds. In others, it's almost a lock if you're closer to 100 or were racing or doing something else stupid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">