• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FENCE AND WATER

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Anyone can sue. Winning a lawsuit is another story.

Who knows? Maybe the idiot is going to sue you for harassment, due to you filing complaints about (valid) code violations.

I suggest that you participate less in neighborhood gossip
I agree. Its just going to stress you otherwise.

Wendy217

This is mind blowing... The topo map I had done, along with my survey, shows NO change in the property!!! How can this be? My surveyor guy said it was an optical illusion. In the meantime, their fence is up higher, their land/garden area was held up by my fence and I get an inordinate amount of water. My attorney said that she is going to pull the original map from 1949. Ugh.

Wendy217

Well, I had an expert look over the TOPO map as I didn't think it was showing what the man said was the case. As you may recall, I was told there was no change... There is and it's over two feet! So, they changed the waterflow on the property and put it to the center of my backyard. I am now getting estimates on how to fix the issue. My attorney said to get at least two different ones.

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Well, I had an expert look over the TOPO map as I didn't think it was showing what the man said was the case. As you may recall, I was told there was no change... There is and it's over two feet! So, they changed the waterflow on the property and put it to the center of my backyard. I am now getting estimates on how to fix the issue. My attorney said to get at least two different ones.
Thanks for the update. How frustrating!

HRZ

Be sure the estimates address removal of all the added 2 'of dirt if at all appropriate to the restoration of prior water runoff situation.

Wendy217

Update: My lawyer has told me that now is not the right time for a lawsuit as it was an unprecedented amount of rain in the last several months. Also, as you may recall, I pulled my fence down and they were forced to put one up. It is inside the property line. I have since gained a lot more sunlight and land. I have more space on their side of the fence. I have done nothing to my property yet and still get a lot of rain. I did place a cinderblock next to their fence and they called the police to report me. One cinderblock that was near their fence! They're insane. The officer said please move the block. Of course we said. So silly. I do need to do something and wonder if they could call me about placing more dirt on the strip of land now? Or, maybe I just need to stay six inches back on my original fence line and build a berm?

Wendy217

Dry wells don't work here as our soil doesn't perk. Even though they have been used due to county laws for new homes, they don't work in areas where we are mainly clay. I suppose if I had thousands of dollars to work with I could catch the water and shoot it to the street with sump pumps and generators. Oh, but even that new house that uses that system has had water in their 2 million dollar house! Water is a huge issue in our neighborhood period.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Buy some koi and build a fish pond? ;)

I guess you'll have to build a berm. :(

I'm sorry to hear that things with your neighbor continue to be irritating.

Wendy217

Thanks, I appreciate it. I cannot believe he called the police! I will build a berm. I wonder if he will call the police again when I take care of the 6 inches of his property on my side of the fence? In other words, now his fence is inside his property line. I gained more land on my side that I need to take care of. He will not be allowed to come on my side obviously. Should I be worried about this?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thanks, I appreciate it. I cannot believe he called the police! I will build a berm. I wonder if he will call the police again when I take care of the 6 inches of his property on my side of the fence? In other words, now his fence is inside his property line. I gained more land on my side that I need to take care of. He will not be allowed to come on my side obviously. Should I be worried about this?
I would make sure any fence/retaining wall/berm is set back 6 inches from the property line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">