• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citation for a non left turn but no signs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shanvhere

I got the citation in Texas.

So I went to a stop sign and in front of me are several signs saying I can’t turn left, it’s because the vechicles coming from my right turn there and go down the road. So I turned right and drove a little and then made a uturn, the police officer pulled me over and gave me a citation stating I made an illegal left turn with signs no where posted where I was, I will show pics.

This is the signs

and this is where I turned

There is a gas station on the right, and I asked the cop if a car was to leave can they go out and turn left on where the turn is, he didn’t answer me.

Am I in the right?

Last edited:

paddywakk

There doesn't have to be a sign where you made the U-turn, you should study Texas laws on U-turns. Some things you are expected to know when you apply for a license.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There doesn't have to be a sign where you made the U-turn, you should study Texas laws on U-turns. Some things you are expected to know when you apply for a license.
Did you find some sort of restriction against a u-turn such as the OP made in Texas? Or, are you basing your advice on the laws of some other state?

adjusterjack

Several undocumented resources opine that Texas has no statutes prohibiting U-Turns save for:

Sec. 545.102. TURNING ON CURVE OR CREST OF GRADE. An operator may not turn the vehicle to move in the opposite direction when approaching a curve or the crest of a grade if the vehicle is not visible to the operator of another vehicle approaching from either direction within 500 feet.

https://law.justia.com/codes/texas/2017/transportation-code/title-7/subtitle-c/chapter-545/

Which doesn't appear to apply to Center St which has no curves or grades for a much greater distance than 500' from that gas station.

I don't see anything in the Deer Park Municipal Code prohibiting U-Turns.

https://library.municode.com/tx/deer_park/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICOOR_CH66MOVETR

The fact remains, unfortunately, that your movement was to intentionally avoid a traffic control device. Though, personally, I can't see how driving up Center St and making a U-Turn would be illegal.

Might work as a defense, might not. Up to you if you want to try it. What have you got to lose?

HRZ

To me you did not make a left turn, you clearly avoided doing so by making a lawful right turn then followed by a lawful u turn and went straight ...you did exactly as one might be expected to do, make a right then lawfully turn around ..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">