• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't get to CA to register newly purchased vehicle?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelpWithMyMini

Hey all, I wasn't sure where to put this?

My parents gifted me an old vehicle. I'm currently with them in Illinois and I will be here for a couple of months.

They had the title and transferred it over to me with the online version of the "Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability". They've signed everything on the title.

My problem is I'm supposed to bring the title and a smog cert to the DMV within 10 days.. .I'm not going to be in Cali till at least late Sept.

I'm not sure what to do here?

Appreciate any insight!

adjusterjack

Actually, I think you have 10 days from the day you bring it into CA.

However, you will need a temporary registration tag to drive it back.

LdiJ

Hey all, I wasn't sure where to put this?

My parents gifted me an old vehicle. I'm currently with them in Illinois and I will be here for a couple of months.

They had the title and transferred it over to me with the online version of the "Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability". They've signed everything on the title.

My problem is I'm supposed to bring the title and a smog cert to the DMV within 10 days.. .I'm not going to be in Cali till at least late Sept.

I'm not sure what to do here?

Appreciate any insight!
Why not register it in IL and then change the registration to CA once you get back to CA?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Since it seems like you don't really know when you'll be in CALIFORNIA I would do what LdiJ suggested - register it in Illinois then you don't have to worry about how long it'll take you to get anywhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">