• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adoption of stepchildren without lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cwheatley

Reside in state of Kentucky. My wife had 3 children when we married. The oldest had paternity established and rights terminated while she was pregnant with the 2nd child. The process for termination was started but never finished on the 2nd child and paternity was never established and no father has been recorded. The 3rd child's father has agreed to terminate his rights although paternity was never officially established by the courts but has been confirmed by DNA tests taken earlier this year. My first question is should we file to terminate rights, even though they haven't been established or would filling consent to adopt be the better way to proceed? Also for the first 2 children what petition do you file with the courts? The only forms I found on kentucky courts website involved children with paternal rights being transferred by the parent terminating. I realize it is best to hire an attorney for any legal proceeding but all that I have spoke with seem to want to charge more than I believe the simplicity of this issue warrant and I believe myself to be competent enough to file the appropriate petitions without representation since no one will be challenging the adoption. Any guidance would be appreciated

Just Blue

Reside in state of Kentucky. My wife had 3 children when we married. The oldest had paternity established and rights terminated while she was pregnant with the 2nd child. The process for termination was started but never finished on the 2nd child and paternity was never established and no father has been recorded. The 3rd child's father has agreed to terminate his rights although paternity was never officially established by the courts but has been confirmed by DNA tests taken earlier this year. My first question is should we file to terminate rights, even though they haven't been established or would filling consent to adopt be the better way to proceed? Also for the first 2 children what petition do you file with the courts? The only forms I found on kentucky courts website involved children with paternal rights being transferred by the parent terminating. I realize it is best to hire an attorney for any legal proceeding but all that I have spoke with seem to want to charge more than I believe the simplicity of this issue warrant and I believe myself to be competent enough to file the appropriate petitions without representation since no one will be challenging the adoption. Any guidance would be appreciated
Adoption is NEVER simplistic. And, no insult intended, if you were competent enough to do this on your own you would not be seeking advice on the internet.

If these children are important to you...spend the money to do this right.

LdiJ

A stepparent adoption is not a DIY project. You really need an adoption attorney on board to make sure that nothing can be challenged in the future.

adjusterjack

I believe myself to be competent enough to file the appropriate petitions without representation
Apparently not, since you are asking for specific legal help:

should we file to terminate rights, even though they haven't been established or would filling consent to adopt be the better way to proceed? Also for the first 2 children what petition do you file with the courts?
I agree with the advice to get yourself a lawyer to guide you through the process.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yeah, what they said.

(This is coming from a guy who actually did his own step-parent adoption.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">