• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Volutary 90% reduction in income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t74

That is a massive stretch and you are saying it only to scare this mother because you seem to hate all mothers.
Actually, I am a mother and grandmother via my DD. I do not hate mothers; I am aggrevated by women and men who have children without planning for the possible consequences and come whining to the forum.

They need to know the worst possible scenario and go forward only if they are prepared to deal with it. In this case OP had a child with a guest worker; obtaining a GC via employment is not a sure thing and is dependent on the employer and available USCs and LPRs qualified and desiring the position. The child could be a dual citizen with a male dominated country/culture. There is certainly the possibility that the child would not be returned to the US even if it is unlikely.

Giving her a view through rose colored glasses does her a disservice. She is also ridiculous to expect that she will be supported by his employment elsewhere as she has been in the past.

She also should have been aware that his earning potential outside the US is far less than here. Even in countries with living standards similar to the US may have salaries far lower than here in the US. (DS took a position outside the US for 2/3 his US salary because he likes where he lives there more than what is available with his company in the US and he gets better benefits and has a lower cost of living.)

Amamsile

He voluntarily quit his job here in US. He wants to come back to visit one day I'm sure so I'm not worried about him paying. Sometimes babies happen even with the best of plans that they don't and I take full responsibilty for carrying the pregnancy and choosing to parent him. But that doesn't negate the responsibilty of the other person to also provide for him to the best of his abilities.

Amamsile

Right but he knows they'll be a bench warrant waiting for him here if he doesn't pay his court ordered amount so I'm not worried that he's not gonna pay at all. I'm sure we can all agree that a PhD level engineer has a best of ability greater than 14k/yr in most parts of the world. :unsure:

LdiJ

Right but he knows they'll be a bench warrant waiting for him here if he doesn't pay his court ordered amount so I'm not worried that he's not gonna pay at all. I'm sure we can all agree that a PhD level engineer has a best of ability greater than 14k/yr in most parts of the world. :unsure:
It also is possible that what he said about quitting his job and moving back to Pakistan was just talk...just talk out of frustration for having to pay child support. After he thinks about it he may realize that it would be foolish to do that.

t74

There are a lot of unemployed PhD engineers even in the US. By the way, I am a retired engineer married to a retired PhD engineering administrator. What are your credentials to assess the employment opportunities in the field?

Just Blue

Honestly that is a foolish thing to rely on. If someone is determined to not pay support, even in the US, it is very hard to collect. With someone from a non-Hague country it is impossible. You will likely not see dime of support. Get used to the idea.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Honestly that is a foolish thing to rely on. If someone is determined to not pay support, even in the US, it is very hard to collect. With someone from a non-Hague country it is impossible. You will likely not see dime of support. Get used to the idea.
Pakistan is a Hague country.

But yes, it can be very difficult, even if dealing with 2 Hague countries, to get orders enforced.

HRZ

Get CS set by court order based on actual earnings to date if possible ....it may be daunting to collect a dime from afar but then again a warrant for contempt of the order may be problematic for him to re enter US legally later .

HRZ

OP be very careful where your child goes with whom ....child may well also be entitled to Pakistani citizenship under right of descent ....and you might never get child back out of there if Dad or some relative takes child there ......yes you did not ask any such question ...merely a heads up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">