• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sub-Standard and Unsafe Welding on Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sam_1975

What is the name of your state? Georgia

90 days ago I paid [REPAIR SHOP A] $1800.00 for work that required welding truss and gussets to my front axle (Jeep JK Wrangler).
Outside of numerous customer service issues and a rushed delivery, it came to my attention the welds were sub-standard at best and potentially unsafe about 6 days ago during unrelated maintenance at [REPAIR SHOP B].

Photographic evidence and documentation (via PM) was provided by [REPAIR SHOP B] explaining what was found totaling $500.00, which I paid.

For [REPAIR SHOP B] to completely re-do the work will involve removing the axle, grinding off the welds, putting on new truss and gussets, plus installation and alignment totaling $1200.00.

Due to the safety concerns of cracked welds I requested that [REPAIR SHOP B] address the issues with re-welds immediately and would contact [REPAIR SHOP A] in regards to a resolution.

This was because returning to [REPAIR SHOP A] was logistically difficult when factoring in; time off from work, towing the vehicle, acquiring a rental etc. Additionally, I did not have any confidence in the competency of their staff/techs or any knowledge of an 'inspection policy'.

[REPAIR SHOP A] claims they have a 'inspection policy' in the event of sub-standard work or parts failure, I was not told about this policy, before, during or after my vehicle was delivered. Nor is any information printed on the simple paper receipt I was given upon paying in-full two weeks in advance of the work.

Whereas [REPAIR SHOP B] has extensive language on their invoices about theresponsibility of each party when a vehicle is modified and then delivered.
I would like to recover $1700.00 in total from [REPAIR SHOP A].

Personal thoughts- I am of the opinion that this whole matter is the result of poor internal communication/scheduling policies at [REPAIR SHOP A] that led to a rushed welding job to make up for a missed deadline.

Sam_1975

No warranty was stated or implied by [REPAIR SHOP A] however the owner said they have a 'right to inspect' - which was not possible since the bad welds were addressed immediately by [REPAIR SHOP B] while the vehicle was on a lift for unrelated repairs.

xylene

You need to sue [REPAIR SHOP A] in small claims for their invoice of $1800 that you paid.

justalayman

Did the guys that gave you the bad news have valid welding inspection certifications to be able to properly determine the welds were substandard.

Not all ugly welds are bad welds.

If over welding the claimed bad welds has provided you a useable vehicle, I would have to argue the original welds must not be that bad and were repairable rather than needing the rework you claim. If the original welds were “bad”, you should have trailered the vehicle home and parked it until you could get it reworked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">