• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would filing bankruptcy relief me froma the debt i claimed to pay to my ex partner in a buy out contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dalal

I own a restaurant, signed a contract to buy out my business partner and taje over all business debts occrued , right after making couple if payments to all loans and business partner, the business took a big hit, i am not able to make these payments anymore. I am couple of months behind on all these payments. I am thinking of filing bankruptcy, would that relief me from the debt i saud ill pay under business and the loans he took under his name for the business? Based on the contract i signed with him during the buy out. He is suing me now for not paying him, I have 30k irs debt and about 40k in total for business loans and my ex partners loans. What are my options? Would bankruptcy relief me from the buy out contact? I already consulted with many attorneys theyre driving me crazy bcz each one gives a different advice of what I should do. Please advise of what my options are.

LdiJ

I own a restaurant, signed a contract to buy out my business partner and taje over all business debts occrued , right after making couple if payments to all loans and business partner, the business took a big hit, i am not able to make these payments anymore. I am couple of months behind on all these payments. I am thinking of filing bankruptcy, would that relief me from the debt i saud ill pay under business and the loans he took under his name for the business? Based on the contract i signed with him during the buy out. He is suing me now for not paying him, I have 30k irs debt and about 40k in total for business loans and my ex partners loans. What are my options? Would bankruptcy relief me from the buy out contact? I already consulted with many attorneys theyre driving me crazy bcz each one gives a different advice of what I should do. Please advise of what my options are.
You need a face to face consult with a bankruptcy attorney.

In general, if this is simply a money issue (not an attempt to regain ownership of the business or its assets or an allegation of misrepresentation) then a bk should end the problem with your partner. Unfortunately, in the process of filing bk you may lose the restaurant, especially if you file a Chapter 7. If you no longer want to operate then the potential loss is probably not a big deal to you.

There are too many question in a case such as yours. As much as I hate writing this, this forum (or any others on the Internet) is not going to be of any real assistance. Just for example some of the questions that need to be answered before advice relating to bk can be given are:

Is the business run under a LLC, Inc or sole proprietorship?
What are the terms of the buy-sell agreement?
Did your ex-partner file a UCC-1 to secure payment under the buy-sell agreement?
How about the commercial lease? Is it long term? Did you personally guarantee it or are you individually the tenant?
Is there a liquor license? Who owns the liquor license? Is the liquor license a series 6 or 12? Was the license used as collateral for some loan?
What about TPT taxes and 940/941s - are they current?

And the list of questions goes on and on, including all of the debt that is your personal debt (credit cards, car loans, mortgage, signature loans, income taxes, medical bills etc.).

I have no doubt a number of attnys you have consulted with gave you a look as if to say "I don't know". Many of the ones that do major advertising are mills. Do not go to a mill. You need to keep searching until you find the right attny. Check with friends or family. Even check with other restaurant owners for referrals. What about contacting a local restaurant trade network?

Des.

Last edited:
Not a big deal. She will face a 523(a)(6) and/or a MTD as the case appears to be nothing more than a 2 party dispute. Des.
Because someone "revived" this dead thread I was curious about my belief that a 523 would be filed in the "De Brat" case.

Sure enough, a 523 complaint was filed on January 18, 2019. On September 17, 2020 the parties stipulated to a non-dischargeable judgment against "Da Brat", stating that the $6.4 million dollar state court judgment,
constitutes a debt for willful and malicious injury by the Defendant to another entity or the property of another entity, the Judgment is non-dischargeable pursuant to section 523(a)(6) of the Bankruptcy Code. 11 U.S.C. § 523(a)(6).
I am sure "Da Brat" finally understands that filing bk is not always the answer.

Just FYI - the thread can now go back into the abyss. :)

Des.

adjusterjack

Would bankruptcy relief me from the buy out contact?
Assuming that you are in the US and you qualify for Chapter 7 then, yes, bankruptcy should relieve you of the buy-out debt and make the lawsuit go away.

Unfortunately, some or all of the IRS debt might not be dischargeable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">