• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother keeping child away from father.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

In what state did this happen?

As for burns and some sort of automatic CPS referral or police report, that's not necessarily so. If the doctor or the hospital suspects foul play, of course. But not every burn warrants a police investigation. I'd go so far as to say that most do not involve CPS referrals or a police investigation because most are not sufficiently "suspicious" such as to warrant a report.

I have four sons who survived many a youthful injury on their way to adulthood ... God forbid I had to deal with CPS every time they went to the ER or the doctor with a cut, scrape, broken bone, or burn! Our kids were on a first name basis with a couple of the local ER docs!
My daughter was on a first name basis with an orthopedic surgeon when she was a child. She started KG, 2nd grade and 3rd grade with a broken arm or wrist. 3rd grade actually happened in the first gym class of the year.

CdwJava

My daughter was on a first name basis with an orthopedic surgeon when she was a child. She started KG, 2nd grade and 3rd grade with a broken arm or wrist. 3rd grade actually happened in the first gym class of the year.
And here I thought it was boys who developed such intimate relations with their doctors! :)

She sounds like the girls that my now-USMC son grew up playing with!

LdiJ

And here I thought it was boys who developed such intimate relations with their doctors! :)

She sounds like the girls that my now-USMC son grew up playing with!
The KG one was pretty funny actually. We took her to the emergency room and they did x rays and the doctor on duty couldn't tell if it was broken or not. The orthopedic surgeon was not on duty that night but happened to be walking past when he heard the doctor say that, and he came into the room, looked at the x ray and said that yep, it was broken. He then told my daughter that she was going to get a really cool neon pink cast and that everybody at school was going to be jealous. He hung around and talked to her through the whole thing, and never sent a bill.

CdwJava

The KG one was pretty funny actually. We took her to the emergency room and they did x rays and the doctor on duty couldn't tell if it was broken or not. The orthopedic surgeon was not on duty that night but happened to be walking past when he heard the doctor say that, and he came into the room, looked at the x ray and said that yep, it was broken. He then told my daughter that she was going to get a really cool neon pink cast and that everybody at school was going to be jealous. He hung around and talked to her through the whole thing, and never sent a bill.
That's pretty cool!

Just Blue

OP child is 17 months old with 2nd degree burns requiring hospitalization. The father was denied visitation ever sense then. And you are equating this with play-yard accidents? Honestly if this was Mom posting that her baby was burned on Dads time you would be all over it.

Frankly LD...Your posting are bizarre.

CdwJava

LDiJ's reply was in response to my post concerning my children's frequent OR visits. I don't see that there was any downplay there.

Just Blue

LDiJ's reply was in response to my post concerning my children's frequent OR visits. I don't see that there was any downplay there.
Really? Considering she "scolded" OP for calling CPS I have concerns on all of her posting on this thread. Honestly...The OP child was horribly burned and LD and you are waxing poetic about your children's visits to the ER. I honestly don't know what you're thinking ...other than a passive-aggressive attempt at telling OP he is over reacting. Which he is not.

CdwJava

Really? Considering she "scolded" OP for calling CPS I have concerns on all of her posting on this thread. Honestly...The OP child was horribly burned and LD and you are waxing poetic about your children's visits to the ER. I honestly don't know what you're thinking ...other than a passive-aggressive attempt at telling OP he is over reacting. Which he is not.
Ah, yes, because NO thread here has ever taken a turn into a tangent when the OP has not returned. :rolleyes:

I have probably dealt with more cases of burned children, abused children, and murdered children than anyone here, so please don't tell me what I think of such abuse or this particular situation. I could relate to you some stories that would make your toes curl if you'd prefer ...

My caveat was concerning a couple of posts that seemed to indicate that the police or CPS should always be called when a child is burned, and that is simply not the case.

Just Blue

Ah, yes, because NO thread here has ever taken a turn into a tangent when the OP has not returned.

I have probably dealt with more cases of burned children, abused children, and murdered children than anyone here, so please don't tell me what I think of such abuse or this particular situation. I could relate to you some stories that would make your toes curl if you'd prefer ...

My caveat was concerning a couple of posts that seemed to indicate that the police or CPS should always be called when a child is burned, and that is simply not the case.
Your background makes your latter posting to this thread more...surprising. OP posted less then 24 hours ago...I bet he is busy trying to find out how his badly burned SEVENTEEN MONTH old baby is doing. Perhaps even dealing with the police/CPS.

CdwJava

Again, I point out that threads here often take a tangent. NOWHERE have I stated that the poster should NOT be concerned or that CPS or the police should NOT be involved. However, I have also investigated a great many reports that were NOT what the complaining party said they were, so there is still the possibility that it is not what the OP might characterize it to be.

If the matter were suspicious in any way, there would be no need for the OP to call the police or CPS because they would already be involved. If they are involved, I suspect someone will be in touch with the OP at some point ... assuming he has at least shared legal custody, which I presume he does.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I wonder if OP has spoken to anyone at the hospital. With his name on the BC, they may (or may not w/o orders) speak with him.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm puzzled how a cup/pot of coffee is hot enough to cause 2nd degree burns. Tea I can understand since you boil the water for it...but coffee? Call CPS and the police. IMHO. Poor baby. :(
Stella Liebeck and McDonald's... that is how...

t74

I don't think anyone believes that Mom deliberately scalded the child. I think many of us believe that there is a problem in the house that made it possible for this to happen. It may be that the residence is inherently unsafe for a toddler, Mom needs parenting or other help, or ...

I understand that even the most loving and attentive parent can lose track of a toddler for an instant, and the child can get hurt. I have children and grandchildren who seem to be intent on challenging gravity and other laws of physics. A child severely injured in the home has a parent that needs help. In my area, that is the CPS equivalent.

I believe Dad needs to do the things legally required to get his rights and responsibilities with regard to the child settled and the sooner the better.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I don't think anyone believes that Mom deliberately scalded the child. I think many of us believe that there is a problem in the house that made it possible for this to happen. It may be that the residence is inherently unsafe for a toddler, Mom needs parenting or other help, or ...

I understand that even the most loving and attentive parent can lose track of a toddler for an instant, and the child can get hurt. I have children and grandchildren who seem to be intent on challenging gravity and other laws of physics. A child severely injured in the home has a parent that needs help. In my area, that is the CPS equivalent.
This. It is unfortunate that Dad has not done so in the 1 1/2years since the child has been born.

ETA: Oops.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">