• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does the statute of limitations on contracts, 4 years, get tolled while a Pennsylvania board reviews the issue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michaelebailey

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was represented by an attorney in an injury law suit. The resulting conclusion was not going to be a high amount and the attorney stated to help me get more from the amount it would be best to terminate the written fee agreement and form a new one, orally about July 2013, in which I would get 1/3, he would get one third from which he would absorb all costs and fees, and the remaining third would satisfy a subrogation. Upon conclusion of the case about 3 months later, October 2013, the case settled for 60k. The money was given to me in two payments about 1.5 months later, December 2013. The issue was that I only received about 13k, and he kept the extra 7k. I first thought it was a simple error and sent a letter, January 2014. It was then he turned and was very rude. I sent a demand a few months later, July 2014 and he threatened to sue me if I did not let it go. It was something that bothered me, but I did not want sued, but I needed to resolve the issue. I filed, about April 2016 with the Pennsylvania Lawyers Fund for Client Security. They previously denied my claim, June 2018. They just denied my reconsideration, September 2018. Would the statute of limitations, 4 years, been tolled while the State Board considered the case allowing me to bring suit?

adjusterjack

Would the statute of limitations, 4 years, been tolled while the State Board considered the case allowing me to bring suit?
No.

The tolling of the SOL is addressed in Sections 5532 through 5535:

https://law.justia.com/codes/pennsylvania/2017/title-42/chapter-55/

By the way, according to the Board's website:

The Board is comprised of five lawyer members and two non-lawyer members,
For $7000 you should have gone right to small claims court instead of relying on such an obvious one-sided scam.

michaelebailey

Thank you for the information and your time.

I now understand how naive I was thinking it would have been taken seriously and decided fairly.

It did not matter what the truth was, what all he had done to us, and the fact that I even had a witness that a statement from her about the discussion concerning the agreement. During the case he said that the truth does not matter, it is only what you can make people believe. I hated him and did not trust him for many legitimate reasons. I was stuck with him because he damaged my case from the initial filing and no one else wanted to touch it.

Thank you again.

Mike

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">