• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

BOUGHT A CAR, DEALER HOLDS ONTO THE TITLE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

masterdog

Nevada

Hi,
I live in Las Vegas.
August 12, 2018 I've purchased a car on Ebay (from Car Pilot, dealer in Philadelphia).
Paid in full ($15,880) within 3 days (dealer requested cashiers check), including doc fee ($280, which is twice the legal limit in PA if I'm not mistaken).
Had the car shipped to NV from PA.
Car arrived without tags or any paperwork, with some previously undisclosed damage, without CPO warranty stated in the original listing.
But most importantly - without the TITLE.
Called dealer - they asked for storage fee ($180 for extra 9 days over first free 10).
I've sent the check and they got it Sep 7.
Still no title.

I've left the negative feedback on Ebay.
Now they threaten to hold the title for total of 60 days along with some other petty threats, also attempted to blackmail me.

Is there anything I can do short of flying to Philadelphia and dealing with those scumbags in person?

xylene

You should get a lawyer involved.

You really should have held off on feedback until the deal was complete, not that negative feedback was undeserved...

masterdog

Not sure if it'll help, but I'll quote some of the communication:

Them: "...By law the dealer can hold the title up to 60 days from the date of the full payment. You also did not sign purchase agreement. Here is my offer. We send you your title tomorrow (after you sign bill of sale), you remove feedback. The revision request was sent!
P.O.
I see you sell old Russian coins. I don't think so it's legal. I am also from Russia and visit Moscow every year. You cannot take it thru the custom"

Me: "...As to your “P.O.” (for the future - it’s spelled P.S.) that by the way looks very much like blackmail - I’ve acquired these in US and have never brought them through the customs.
Nice try though.

So here’s my offer. Mail the title ASAP and I will reconsider the feedback. The only thing that can affect my willingness to do so is how promptly you’ll send it out."

Them: "...We have to send you the title after 60 days. The feedback is only expedite this service. You are also has to sign Buyers Order.
If it does not work, we have to start NetNutral feedback removal. It's gonna cost you $130 extra...."

masterdog

A bit more detail.

Before having the car shipped, I've asked if $280 doc fee includes temporary tags (they said yes) and I've stressed the point that I'll need those on the car.

After the car arrived without any tags or paperwork I've called them right away and only then was told about the extra $180 "storage" fee.

Since I had no temp tags, I needed the title ASAP (which I also told them), so I've asked if I could Paypal the amount, or pay with credit/debit card.
The answer was NO.
So I had to run to the post office the same day and mail them the money order which they received in 2-3 days.

Week after I've emailed asking where is the title and was told that it's been sent out a while ago.
Only after calling in another day or two, I've received a text saying the title has never been sent.

I've left negative feedback on ebay after that.

I guess I should file a complaint with Attorney General or FTC, but not sure if it'll do anything...

Thank you for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">