• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When/how can i leave my home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcliftm121

I live in Nebraska where the age of majority is 19. I'm 17 but will be 18 in january. I live with my grandmother who is also my legal guardian. It is not a positive home situation and i have no answers on what i can do. I have place where i can stay until i move into college this fall but they don't want to take me in until there will be no legal consequences. If i ran away at seventeen and my guardian labeled me as a runaway would i get into legal trouble? What about 18? Or is there any use at attempting to terminate my guardianship if i'll be 18 in two months, also if i did terminate would i go into foster care until i age out/attend college or could i go to the family willing to take me in?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The age of majority in your state is 19. That means that until your 19th birthday, you live where your legal guardian says you live.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I live in Nebraska where the age of majority is 19. I'm 17 but will be 18 in january. I live with my grandmother who is also my legal guardian. It is not a positive home situation and i have no answers on what i can do. I have place where i can stay until i move into college this fall but they don't want to take me in until there will be no legal consequences. If i ran away at seventeen and my guardian labeled me as a runaway would i get into legal trouble? What about 18? Or is there any use at attempting to terminate my guardianship if i'll be 18 in two months, also if i did terminate would i go into foster care until i age out/attend college or could i go to the family willing to take me in?
If you're being abused, please talk to a trusted adult (teacher, school counselor, pastor).

quincy

When do you graduate from high school?

How long have you experienced problems in your home? Have you discussed your living situation with anyone before now? What has changed recently?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'd very much like to know exactly what is meant by "not a positive home situation" since for a great many teens, that translates to, "My parents/guardian actually parent/guard me instead of letting me do exactly what I want all the time".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">