• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need to change the name of my business: file a name change to LLC or file a DBA to the LLC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jasperdev

Based in Georgia, I have an LLC that was named after my main product, but we have expanded our product selection into a bigger brand. Should we simply file a DBA to the LLC under the brand name, or file to change the LLC name?

Pros and cons?

quincy

Based in Georgia, I have an LLC that was named after my main product, but we have expanded our product selection into a bigger brand. Should we simply file a DBA to the LLC under the brand name, or file to change the LLC name?

Pros and cons?
You should discuss the pros and cons with a business law and tax professional in your area.

It is relatively easy and inexpensive to change the name of your LLC. You submit an Articles of Amendment to Articles of Organization to the Georgia Secretary of State, Corporations Division.

Changing the name of a company can sometimes be a smart move. "Brad's Drink" changed its name to "Pepsi Cola" and "Google" was once "BackRub."

But if your company is already recognized under its current name, it might be better for you to file a DBA (or DBAs) as you expand your business and add additional products.

It is important to note that a DBA is just a fictitious name under which your LLC will operate but it is not a separate legal entity. If you want a separate company, you can consider a subsidiary.

But it all really depends on your business and what you want to do with it. There are tax and liability issues that must be considered and weighed.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">