• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do to not go to jail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Burns37

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Oregon.
What can I do to not go to jail.
I was arrested in May of this year for disorderly conduct II I was intoxicated at my apartment and just didn't have anywhere to go and I was being loud so I spent the night in jail. When I met with the judge I have to pay 550 and do an alcohol screening. I haven't started any of it. I was arrested yesterday for criminal mischeif III and Harassment - offensive contact. I was blacked out drunk and just a mess. I was told I hit the officer in his leg. What can I do to not have to spend time in jail.

doucar

Stop drinking for one, do the alcohol screeniing and pay your fine.
No guarantees, but will go a long way to keeping you out of jail. Judges are not inclined to give a person a second break when they did not follow through the first time.

quincy

I was arrested in May of this year for disorderly conduct II I was intoxicated at my apartment and just didn't have anywhere to go and I was being loud so I spent the night in jail. When I met with the judge I have to pay 550 and do an alcohol screening. I haven't started any of it. I was arrested yesterday for criminal mischeif III and Harassment - offensive contact. I was blacked out drunk and just a mess. I was told I hit the officer in his leg. What can I do to not have to spend time in jail.
I am not sure there is any sure fire way for you to avoid jail time, especially since you did not satisfy the judge's order on your previous offense. Do you have money enough to pay past and future fines?

The best way for you to stay out of jail, in addition to paying what you owe, might be to get yourself into an alcohol treatment program immediately and start taking seriously your alcohol abuse problem. The judge could look more kindly on you if you acknowledge you have a problem with alcohol and are actively seeking treatment.

An attorney can help you with your latest charges. The attorney might be able to get your misdemeanors reduced or, possibly, one of them dismissed.

Good luck.

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I was arrested in May of this year for disorderly conduct II I was intoxicated at my apartment and just didn't have anywhere to go and I was being loud so I spent the night in jail. When I met with the judge I have to pay 550 and do an alcohol screening. I haven't started any of it. I was arrested yesterday for criminal mischeif III and Harassment - offensive contact. I was blacked out drunk and just a mess. I was told I hit the officer in his leg.
What can I do to not have to spend time in jail.
Well, you can't turn back time and start over.

I do not know if you can avoid jail time - it's been 6 months and you haven't paid the $550 or done an alcohol screening. That's bad enough, but then you compounded the problem by getting drunk to the point where police were involved, and you hit a police officer?

Here's what you do to minimize the consequences:
1) Pay the $550 plus whatever other $ are owed (fees, interest). Beg or borrow if necessary (skip stealing). No, you can't do it in installments; that ship has sailed.
2) Do the alcohol screening NOW. As in, leave this forum after reading my post and call to enroll.
3) Get yourself into an alcohol treatment program. Getting in trouble for being drunk and stupid once could just be a fluke, but twice indicates a pattern: a person who does not have a drinking problem, is usually scared straight after getting in trouble and doesn't repeat.
4) Get a good lawyer and do what the lawyer tells you to. Don't talk to the police without your lawyer's presence and guidance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">