• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Parent and Student Loan Payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sadafnaj22

Hello!

I am from Virginia. I am asking anyone these questions because I am desperate.... my parents took out parent plus loans for me when I went to school and we made a deal that I would pay them when I graduated... thats all fine and I agreed so that was cool.

The issue now is that fro the two years I have paid, my parent has increased the price and and told me payments began right after I graduated. I got my hands on some information..... the fact of the matter is I have been paying 1200$ right out of college for loan payments that I found out did not even begin until October of this year. I am devastated because where is my money.... and when I ask for a receipt she just says I am disrespectful and manages to manipulate me and make me feel like I was wrong. Turns out she lied about the amount as well. It is 1153 a month not 1200. Is this wrong what she did? is it illegal? I know she has plotted this with my aunts and the fact that they are ok with this really gets me. How do I go about this? what can I do... this is wrong what they are doing right? Lying to me and no giving me a receipt?

Also, one more thing..... when I stay out late ( I am 24 years old) she will tell my dad to control me so that I do not stay out then threatens that she will call the police or something if he does not agree to control me....... like whatttt... I hate that I get my dad chewed out by my mom but I can't stop living my life... what do I do?

Last edited:

LdiJ

Hello!

I am from Virginia. I am asking anyone these questions because I am desperate.... my parents took out parent plus loans for me when I went to school and we made a deal that I would pay them when I graduated... thats all fine and I agreed so that was cool.

The issue now is that fro the two years I have paid, my parent has increased the price and and told me payments began right after I graduated. I got my hands on some information..... the fact of the matter is I have been paying 1200$ right out of college for loan payments that I found out did not even begin until October of this year. I am devastated because where is my money.... and when I ask for a receipt she just says I am disrespectful and manages to manipulate me and make me feel like I was wrong. Turns out she lied about the amount as well. It is 1153 a month not 1200. Is this wrong what she did? is it illegal? I know she has plotted this with my aunts and the fact that they are ok with this really gets me. How do I go about this? what can I do... this is wrong what they are doing right? Lying to me and no giving me a receipt?

Also, one more thing..... when I stay out late ( I am 24 years old) she will tell my dad to control me so that I do not stay out then threatens that she will call the police or something if he does not agree to control me....... like whatttt... I hate that I get my dad chewed out by my mom but I can't stop living my life... what do I do?
Well, you could insist on paying the bills directly instead of giving the money to your mother. You could also move out and get your own place to live.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Legally, the parent(s) who signed for the parents PLUS loan are financially responsible for paying it.

Tell Mom either she let you see the bills and pay directly or else refinance the loan in your name. If she finds both of those proposed solutions too odious, then maybe you should just leave and let her face the consequences.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">