• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scared and Confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious as to why you think you now know why my father was my best friend? What's that supposed to mean??

And thankyou, grief therapy does help I've been going for years now. Have you lost anyone in your life ever?

@justblue I'm new to this site, so this is my first posting so I'm not sure who have been here forever and who hasnt. What a great friend you are having his back though.

Just Blue

Hello, I am a 29 year old mom of 3 children living in Ohio.

My father, my best friend, passed away October 23rd 2012 suddenly with no will to be found. He suffered from asbestosis and died as a result( yes he already had a lawyer for that) . I was living with him for 5 years prior so when he passed I just stayed in the mobile home, I was on lease just not on title. The mobile home park is ok with it. My dad was divorced so I figured I was next of kin also he told me he wanted me to have the trailer and car and considering my older brother and sister can't be found i thought it was settled i had no knowledge of all this probate stuff. Before he passed he made me administer of his accounts but I guess not all of them because now I've ran into trouble. I thought my name was on title of his car but apparently it's not. I have now been driving his car for the past 5 yrs under his name only apparently and I've been renewing his plates online, keep in mind I was under his insurance policy before he passed so after he passed I just kept paying on the same insurance. Well I'm trying to finally go to probate and get the trailer in my name but in order to do that I have to track down my siblings and have them sign a waiver to waive their rights. So basically, I'm not really scared my siblings will do anything because the trailer and car combined are probably worth $6,000, though maybe they will and my kids and I will end up homeless, who knows!!!! but I need to get this stuff in my name asap as I don't want to be breaking any laws with the car situation and if I ever want to sell this stuff and move then it has to be in my name. Plus I actually might join up with his asbestos lawyer to try to fight for him more! What I'm scared of is jail time and getting into trouble....listen when I say I have never been in trouble, never been to jail, I'm a mom of 3 young children and ever since I talked to a probate lawyer yesterday at a free consultation he scared the crap out of me....i've been up all night crying scared I'm going to get a big fine, go to prison, and get a felony. I'm attending nursing school and it's the only vehicle I have but not only that, I'm scared how this will affect my future career! Scared if I go to jail or prison I'll lose my kids!

And I went onto huron county's probate court website and not even sure what forms to fill out! (Hence why I got help from a lawyer yesterday but all he did was scare me and told me it would cost me more to get this stuff in my name, his advice was to just leave it be.) Maybe he's right :(.

Please help me!!!! I'm so stressed and scared, I almost went to hospital last night over a panic attack!
You are the one to state your father is your best friend.

Just Blue

I'm curious as to why you think you now know why my father was my best friend? What's that supposed to mean??

And thankyou, grief therapy does help I've been going for years now. Have you lost anyone in your life ever?
I'm 53. Yes...lost a lot of people I loved dearly.

PayrollHRGuy

Well then take that up with my insurance agent because she knew my dad passed and kept the insurance in my name since I was already on policy..... but you know like I said im done driving the car because of the plate thing anyways so I canceled the insurance last month.

Is anyone going to me or just make me feel stupid?
I have tried my best to help you. And it should be you that takes it up with the insurance agent, not us.

I don't remember you saying there was an issue with "the plates" but if you don't want to drive it that is fine with me.

Here's a list of lawyers in your county that deal with Probate matters.

http://huroncountybar.org/category/area-practice/probate

And here is the contact information for legal aid in your area.

Advocates for Basic Legal Equality, Inc. (ABLE)
Toledo Office:
520 Madison Ave., Suite 740
Toledo OH 43604-1373
419 255-0814
800 837-0814
FAX 419 259-2880
FAX 419 244-5285 migrant
TDD 419 259-2883
www.ablelaw.org
Consumer advocacy, low-income tax clinic, migrant farm workers, housing, ombusman programs, detainee project, special litigation affecting many low income individuals.

Legal Aid of Western Ohio, Inc. (LAWO)
Sandusky Office:
109 W. Water Street
Sandusky OH 44870
800 224-7914
FAX/TDD: 419 609-9173
Toledo Office:
520 Madison Ave., Suite 640
Toledo OH 43604
419 724-0030
877 894-4599
FAX 419 321-1582
www.lawolaw.org
Domestic violence, family law, elder programs, housing programs, consumer law, SSI/Public Benefits, migrant farm workers, civil legal assistance.

That's about the most I can do for you.

I have tried my best to help you. And it should be you that takes it up with the insurance agent, not us.

I don't remember you saying there was an issue with "the plates" but if you don't want to drive it that is fine with me.

Here's a list of lawyers in your county that deal with Probate matters.

http://huroncountybar.org/category/area-practice/probate

And here is the contact information for legal aid in your area.

Advocates for Basic Legal Equality, Inc. (ABLE)
Toledo Office:
520 Madison Ave., Suite 740
Toledo OH 43604-1373
419 255-0814
800 837-0814
FAX 419 259-2880
FAX 419 244-5285 migrant
TDD 419 259-2883
www.ablelaw.org
Consumer advocacy, low-income tax clinic, migrant farm workers, housing, ombusman programs, detainee project, special litigation affecting many low income individuals.

Legal Aid of Western Ohio, Inc. (LAWO)
Sandusky Office:
109 W. Water Street
Sandusky OH 44870
800 224-7914
FAX/TDD: 419 609-9173
Toledo Office:
520 Madison Ave., Suite 640
Toledo OH 43604
419 724-0030
877 894-4599
FAX 419 321-1582
www.lawolaw.org
Domestic violence, family law, elder programs, housing programs, consumer law, SSI/Public Benefits, migrant farm workers, civil legal assistance.

That's about the most I can do for you.

Thank you for that. I appreciate the help and everything you listed♡ truly sincerely I'm not trying to come off as an XXXX to anyone on here, if you met me in person I'm the nicest person you'd ever meet. I just am hurt over all this stuff going on, stressed. Worried I'm gonna go to jail. Worried about probate court. I was hurt by what some people said on this forum, I guess I do need to stop being a delicate flower but all I'm trying to do is fix things and it's frustrating when you come to a place for help and feel like people aren't being very kind. I have exhausted most of my options, I will try some of the places you listed. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

LdiJ

Thank you for that. I appreciate the help and everything you listed♡ truly sincerely I'm not trying to come off as an XXXX to anyone on here, if you met me in person I'm the nicest person you'd ever meet. I just am hurt over all this stuff going on, stressed. Worried I'm gonna go to jail. Worried about probate court. I was hurt by what some people said on this forum, I guess I do need to stop being a delicate flower but all I'm trying to do is fix things and it's frustrating when you come to a place for help and feel like people aren't being very kind. I have exhausted most of my options, I will try some of the places you listed. Thanks again.
I will repeat the one thing that others have told you: YOU ARE NOT GOING TO JAIL. You can get insurance in your own name and keep driving the car while you are waiting to get probate done. Get in touch with your local legal aide group and see if they can help you with probate. Or see if your courthouse has a self help center, or call a local law school and see if they have any clinics where you can get help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">