• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Suzanne54

What is the name of your state? VA. If an employee is the responsible party to an auto accident, can the employee be held liable for the deductible?

Suzanne54

The employee claims that he was parked, but the other driver said he was turning. Would that make a difference?

Suzanne54

I am the employer. The accident happened on a Naval base with a government owned vehicle, which of course is self insured. The base police responded and of course the report is very vague. No statement from my employee, only one from the government employee. But no citations were given.

PayrollHRGuy

You can't simply deduct the amount from his wages. You can sue the employee. Are you "the government" or a contractor?

PayrollHRGuy

I take it the government is going to charge you for the damage and you want to charge the government? If that is the case it would seem that some entity would need to prove that it was your employee was at fault. That doesn't seem to have happened yet or are you, automatically according to your contract, liable for any damages?

If you are then you could also sue the other driver.

Suzanne54

Thanks for the info. I am filing through my insurance carrier and then the insurance company will subrogate the claim with the government.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">