• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Early release

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My husband is incarcerated in oakland county jail michigan for driving on a suspended license. His release date as of now with good time and trustee is January 6th. When he was sent to jail he was our only source of income. I have been trying to get a job to support our family but do not have childcare and am still waiting on the state to approve and process everything. So because of all of this and losing my husband and only source of income. We are now losing everything. I am being evicted from our home. I have to be out december 26th. Our 4 kids and i will have nowhere to go until my husband is released and we can stay with his friend. I can't even get a place to store our things let alone find someone to help me move things i am unable to do myself. We will soon be on the street living in the car with nothing without my husband here. My question is is there any way to ask the judge if she can release my husband from jail early?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
No.

Or rather, you can try, but the answer will likely be no. Moreover, the time to ask was before now.

Your husband's incarceration is not the sole cause of your ills. The fact that he had a suspended license and was still driving would seem to indicate that you have been living on the edge for a while. Hint: Why was it suspended in the first place.

I suggest that you reach out for help. There are many generous people out there. If you have a faith community, reach out to them for help. If you do not have a faith community, then look up what the local faith communities represent, and affiliate with one that resonates with your values. (I say this because some people have bitter feelings about religion in general based on their limited experience with the religion they were brought in.) You clearly need a better support network than you currently have.

Just Blue

No.

Or rather, you can try, but the answer will likely be no. Moreover, the time to ask was before now.

Your husband's incarceration is not the sole cause of your ills. The fact that he had a suspended license and was still driving would seem to indicate that you have been living on the edge for a while. Hint: Why was it suspended in the first place.

I suggest that you reach out for help. There are many generous people out there. If you have a faith community, reach out to them for help. If you do not have a faith community, then look up what the local faith communities represent, and affiliate with one that resonates with your values. (I say this because some people have bitter feelings about religion in general based on their limited experience with the religion they were brought in.) You clearly need a better support network than you currently have.
T add to the ^ excellent advice, you might try calling your Town Hall/City Hall and seek assistance from there. They may have financial assistance program or, at the very least, direct you to resources. Another thing you might try for child care is if you have a friend/neighbor with children you and s/he could help each other. If you work on different shifts, you watch their child when they work and they watch your when you work.

quincy

My husband is incarcerated in oakland county jail michigan for driving on a suspended license. His release date as of now with good time and trustee is January 6th. When he was sent to jail he was our only source of income. I have been trying to get a job to support our family but do not have childcare and am still waiting on the state to approve and process everything. So because of all of this and losing my husband and only source of income. We are now losing everything. I am being evicted from our home. I have to be out december 26th. Our 4 kids and i will have nowhere to go until my husband is released and we can stay with his friend. I can't even get a place to store our things let alone find someone to help me move things i am unable to do myself. We will soon be on the street living in the car with nothing without my husband here. My question is is there any way to ask the judge if she can release my husband from jail early?
Here is a link to family resources in Oakland County: http://www.olhsa.org/family-resources

I suggest you start by contacting Lighthouse of Oakland County to get assistance with your family's immediate needs. The Michigan Department of Human Services can also provide you with emergency relief.

Your husband might be able to get a work release from jail if he is the sole support of your family. Your husband will want an attorney to help him. He should contact the Oakland County Bar Association's Legal Aid, or the Legal Aid and Defenders Association (see the link above for contact information).

Here is a link to the law your husband violated (MCL 257.904, driving on a suspended license):
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-257-904

If your husband's license suspension was due to a drinking and driving offense, his incarceration should serve as a wake up call. He should get help.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">