• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent home inspector, Massachusetts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The home inspector we chose for our home only spent 90 minutes inspecting our 4000 square foot house. he missed major roof rot that we were unaware of in fact he told us we had another 10 years left on our roof.

6 days after moving in the roof begin to collapse over our master bathroom. 7 contractors said our roof was an urgent need of replacement.

We had to take out a $25,000 Grant from the town in order to pay for the rear roof. The home inspector lost his license due to what he did to us through the state of Massachusetts.

What kind of damages can we sue for? the condition on the grand is that if we stay in our home for fifteen years we do not have to pay it back however if we have to sell the house before then for any reason we will go back $60,000.

adjusterjack

What kind of damages can we sue for?
Your actual costs to repair the roof.

I hope the inspector had malpractice insurance. If not, collecting on a judgment, if you win one, could be problematic.

the condition on the grand is that if we stay in our home for fifteen years we do not have to pay it back however if we have to sell the house before then for any reason we will go back $60,000.
Then plan on living there for 15 years. It's not difficult. I've been in my house for 20 years. Time flies.

I hope the inspector had malpractice insurance. If not, collecting on a judgment, if you win one, could be problematic.

Then plan on living there for 15 years. It's not difficult. I've been in my house for 20 years. Time flies.
we would love to live here for another 15 years but my husband just went through a triple bypass surgery and we're going to keep our fingers crossed.

The roof could not be repaired, it needed to be replaced. The rot was too expansive throughout the entire house

Mass_Shyster

Contact an attorney. You may be entitled to multiple damages if the inspector is found liable for damages. HOWEVER, most home inspectors use a contract that attempts to absolve them of all liability. Another issue is that if the inspector lost his license, he's not making any money and may not be able to pay a judgment.

One question that comes to mind is why did the roof collapse? Having ten years left on your roof generally applies to the shingles. A roof does not collapse due to bad shingles. It collapses because the rafters rot. If there is a ceiling covering the rafters, an inspector would have no way to inspect them.

It's entirely possible that the roof used to leak, the rafters rotted, but someone replaced the rafters, and repainted the ceiling below, completely (and innocently) hiding any evidence of the leak. On the other hand, if the rafters are exposed, the inspector doesn't have a good defense, unless his contract protects him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">