• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reasonable notice of travel with Child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Maybe… Mom did say "a few days". A six year old is likely in school. If the trip starts on Saturday and is a "few days", it might not be perfectly reasonable. I am not saying that it isn't, I am just saying that its not a flat out given.
President's Day weekend.

Zigner

Yet you don't know that. And Mom didn't mention that. And in some school districts kids have both Friday and Monday off.
Yep - we're getting my granddaughter from after school today until Monday afternoon when we drop her back off.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Yet you don't know that. And Mom didn't mention that. And in some school districts kids have both Friday and Monday off.
My district has all next week off.

Just saying...dad's parenting time could fall on school days too.
It could. But that's not been Mom's concern. She has not mentioned school once AFAIK. In all her threads she has been concerned about son's travelling as part of Dad's parenting time.

She didn't want son on a plane as an unaccompanied minor, and now she's complaining if he's travelling with Dad. During Dad's court ordered parenting time - the parenting time that he doesn't always exercise, to the point that she's going to court in 2 weeks to request custody/visitation be modified because she is sick of last minute cancellations.

Zigner

I've been thinking about it. Dad is required to provide "reasonable notice of travel plans" (according to the OP). That is so vague as to be unenforceable. As far as I'm concerned, dad could have said "we're going to be going on a road trip - kiddo will be back to you on time" and that would have complied with the order. Mom is out of line here.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I've been thinking about it. Dad is required to provide "reasonable notice of travel plans" (according to the OP). That is so vague as to be unenforceable. As far as I'm concerned, dad could have said "we're going to be going on a road trip - kiddo will be back to you on time" and that would have complied with the order. Mom is out of line here.
Mom could have it clarified, as part of the current modification that she is currently pursuing - she seems to be generally dissatisfied with the amount of notice that Dad has been giving her about his plans, whether or not he is cancelling parenting time.

Perhaps part of the problem is that Dad has been canceling so often that she'd made other arrangements, and this is inconveniencing her. For example, if the son has break next week and she's working, she had back up plans for Dad being a no show, given his pattern the past few months.

LdiJ

Mom could have it clarified, as part of the current modification that she is currently pursuing - she seems to be generally dissatisfied with the amount of notice that Dad has been giving her about his plans, whether or not he is cancelling parenting time.

Perhaps part of the problem is that Dad has been canceling so often that she'd made other arrangements, and this is inconveniencing her. For example, if the son has break next week and she's working, she had back up plans for Dad being a no show, given his pattern the past few months.
That IS a fair concern. I did used to have a similar problem with my ex for a while when our daughter was very young. Once I sat him down and discussed it with him he realized that I wasn't trying to control HIM, but to control my OWN day/weekend he was much more considerate about things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">