• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summer visitation rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bjarrell

What is the name of your state? VA

Court agreement states “During the summer break father will have child for two non consecutive one week periods”

My question is does father need to give notice? What happens if mom/dad end up choosing the same weekend? Can mother decide that she is not going to allow father to get week of father’s choice?
Are their any VA laws regarding this?

adjusterjack

Considering that Dad has ONLY two weeks during the summer and Mom has the REST of the summer, Mom better damned well ask Dad when he wants his two weeks before she schedules anything for her time.

You don't need "laws" for this. If Dad misses his weeks and ends up in court the judge won't be kind to Mom.

Get it?

Oh, yeah, Dad ought to get his choices made well in advance, too, and not wait until the last minute.

How about cooperation, people, and not trying to get over on each other at the drop of a hat.

Bjarrell

We literally just have notice of our second week which we have already taken time off work for. Made arrangements that need to be made. But mother has made plans this week apparently. So I’m just trying to decide what to do. I do not think it’s fair for us to have to change our plans when she has the entire rest of the summer to figure it out and make plans.

Just Blue

We literally just have notice of our second week which we have already taken time off work for. Made arrangements that need to be made. But mother has made plans this week apparently. So I’m just trying to decide what to do. I do not think it’s fair for us to have to change our plans when she has the entire rest of the summer to figure it out and make plans.
Who are you in this situation?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Generally speaking, in such situations, it is wise for the times to be agreed upon before making unchangeable plans. (i.e. don't buy plane tickets, lock in time off work, etc.)

Bjarrell

He literally has the exact same question. Not sure why that would matter but thanks for your help! It’s GREATLY appreciated. He is planning on contacting his attorney but we were just trying to figure out what we could until then.

LdiJ

He literally has the exact same question. Not sure why that would matter but thanks for your help! It’s GREATLY appreciated. He is planning on contacting his attorney but we were just trying to figure out what we could until then.
What he SHOULD do is take into consideration what plans mom has. If mom cannot change her plans because its something like a family reunion, or a family wedding, or something else that she has no control over, then that is a little different than if its something under her control.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
*I* find that the actual legal party asking questions for him/herself tends to indicate that it is a matter of importance to him/her, rather than a third party possibly driving the situation. That said...

What is the parenting time during the rest of the year? In our situation, I had the kids during the school year, with Dad having one w/e a month & split holidays/breaks. Dad had summer, with my getting two non-consecutive weeks. We did actually have those weeks specified, but sometimes other things came up (Scout camps, sports camps, etc.) for other weeks and I'd request a change so the kids could attend on my time. But I always did so before making arrangements. Sometimes Dad/stepMom had something going that would infringe on "my" time, and despite our otherwise contentious relationship (even post-divorce), he would ask first. I tried to accommodate, but frankly, the only "fairness" I was interested in was whether it was "fair" for the kids. But, sometimes, life isn't fair...

Bjarrell

Here is the thing is last year he requested the week that she was having surgery so she wouldn’t of been able to care for the kids anyways and she fought him on that. And she did not allow him to get another week. Current custody is father gets kids EOW. And two non consecutive weeks in the summer. Holidays are agreed upon every year between the both of them. They were on good terms when this was set up and established so that is why it is so vague. Now they still co-parent okay until they disagree with each other. So this year when we have plans and have given her plenty notice she now has plans that week.

Bjarrell

Here is the thing is last year he requested the week that she was having surgery so she wouldn’t of been able to care for the kids anyways and she fought him on that. And she did not allow him to get another week. Current custody is father gets kids EOW. And two non consecutive weeks in the summer. Holidays are agreed upon every year between the both of them. They were on good terms when this was set up and established so that is why it is so vague. Now they still co-parent okay until they disagree with each other. So this year when we have plans and have given her plenty notice she now has plans that week.
I am all for being fair and doing what is best for the kids. However I do not think it’s fair for the mother to decide everything when they have joint custody.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am all for being fair and doing what is best for the kids. However I do not think it’s fair for the mother to decide everything when they have joint custody.
...and THIS is why we don't like legal strangers asking questions instead of one of the legally involved parties. What you think is fair is utterly irrelevant. Please have dad log on to ask his own questions (with his own user id), if he cares to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">