• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Banned from forum for "soliciting" - contact legal team of company?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmoothPinkJazz

I was banned from a forum (don't want to mention which forum) for "soliciting" about clothing brand IZOD. I have no affiliation with IZOD nor PVH; I just really like their clothes. There is nothing in the forum rules that prohibits discussion about IZOD; I think the moderator is being a jerk and a fashion snob and wants to violate my free speech and my legal right to be an IZOD fan.

I wonder, should I contact PVH's legal team about this?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
When you are using someone else's servers, you don't have 'Free Speech'. The 1st Amendment prevents Congress from restraining free speech, not some dude on the interwebs who owns/rents a server and allows people to post on a website hosted on said server. They can ban anyone for any reason and it's perfectly legal.

SmoothPinkJazz

When you are using someone else's servers, you don't have 'Free Speech'. The 1st Amendment prevents Congress from restraining free speech, not some dude on the interwebs who owns/rents a server and allows people to post on a website hosted on said server. They can ban anyone for any reason and it's perfectly legal.
Well, those laws should be changed. I'm going to write a formal letter to my senators to get these laws changed, since I personally think in online forums even a single violation of free speech should result in lifetime imprisonment without trial if they are not against forum rules.

FlyingRon

Exaggerate much? Being banned from an internet forum isn't "imprisonment" and there's no trial or other due process required. That's a restriction on the government. Your ability to use a private forum is at the discretion of the forum owners and just like the Constitution keeps government from restricting YOUR speech, it also restricts the government from telling forum owners what they have to do.

Move on with your life. Give it a month's rest and politely ask for reinstatement.

xylene

Your emotions concerning this are OVER-THE-TOP

No one should be and no one is going to be imprisoned at all over internet forum rules against promotion.

I suggest to get some help modulating your emotions and find a new place to hang out online.

PS - if you wait a few months, don't harangue anyone and dial back the calls for a Senate investigation and then email a polite and coherent apology to the moderators and promise not to promote or mention IZOD as you did in the past, you'd probably get back in.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Well, those laws should be changed. I'm going to write a formal letter to my senators to get these laws changed, since I personally think in online forums even a single violation of free speech should result in lifetime imprisonment without trial if they are not against forum rules.
The moment the government is allowed to dictate what private persons can and cannot say or allow on their own forums, places of work, or homes we'll be in trouble. Do not assume that such regulation would favor you; you may find that the government outlaws your speech too, and then you find yourself silenced or in prison. We see it happen every day in foreign countries that do not have the free speech protection we have. Don't be so quick to throw one of our greatest freedoms away.

Mass_Shyster

So... Assuming the forum owner/moderator is imprisoned for life for being accused of violating free speech, that would mean that the forum would no longer be available for you to post on.

You do realize that the same result can be achieved if you simply turn off your computer?

adjusterjack

I was banned from a forum (don't want to mention which forum) for "soliciting" about clothing brand IZOD. I have no affiliation with IZOD nor PVH; I just really like their clothes. There is nothing in the forum rules that prohibits discussion about IZOD; I think the moderator is being a jerk and a fashion snob and wants to violate my free speech and my legal right to be an IZOD fan.
Keep up this kind of rant and you may find yourself banned from this forum. ;)

RJR

I wonder, should I contact PVH's legal team about this?
Not meant to repeat, but NOOOOO! I seem to remember a Federal Court declaring Trump's Twitter account a "Public Forum" for 1st AM purposes, as to his blocking certain posters. HOWEVER, this forum, or their forum's, are NOT a public forum of that type, period. I hope that explains in better detail your legal analysis flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">