• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i be charged with "criminal tresspass" of my own property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LetteKitty

can the city rightfully charge me with criminal trespass if my house has been marked a dangerous structure do to filth and was told I am aloud to enter the residence to clean it up but was 30 mins earlier then the time I was told I can clean up my house even if the time frame given was verbal and no documentation specifying a time frame was ever given? I mean how can they charge me with criminal trespass of my own property I own the home and it was not taken by the city it just needed to be cleaned up and I was there doing that at the time of the arrest

CdwJava

What state are you in? What specific statute(s) have you been charged with violating?

Was the property posted as unfit or unsafe and prohibiting entry in some way?

You admit you made entry outside the time you were permitted to enter to do the work requested. If you are being charged with a crime, you should engage a criminal defense attorney. How strong a case the state might have will depend upon all the facts not just the vague information you have posted above.

quincy

can the city rightfully charge me with criminal trespass if my house has been marked a dangerous structure do to filth and was told I am aloud to enter the residence to clean it up but was 30 mins earlier then the time I was told I can clean up my house even if the time frame given was verbal and no documentation specifying a time frame was ever given? I mean how can they charge me with criminal trespass of my own property I own the home and it was not taken by the city it just needed to be cleaned up and I was there doing that at the time of the arrest
Did you have to break any locks or cross any barriers to enter?

Here is a link to a general look at what "criminal trespass" is. State laws vary. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/25/11.411

Last edited:

LetteKitty

the only locks on the house where ones I placed there and I did not break them I used my key to unlock them as for barriers there was no police tape or fence or anything only thing I did was go through my front door

quincy

the only locks on the house where ones I placed there and I did not break them I used my key to unlock them as for barriers there was no police tape or fence or anything only thing I did was go through my front door
What is the name of your state?

justalayman

While I would expect something more like contempt of court based on violating a court order, since you could not lawfully be in the building at the time you were, trespassing is likely to be a valid charge as well.

Provide the state and the precise verbiage on the notice to vacate the premises that demanded you leave.

In all my years I’ve never seen a building ordered to be vacated due to filth considered to be a dangerous structure. It may be deemed uninhabitable due to health concerns but the reference to a dangerous structure suggests something quite different.

pac72

cat hoarder ???guessing from his name.. kitty is in it ......and a cat hoarders house could easily qualify as filth..

quincy

cat hoarder ???guessing from his name.. kitty is in it ......and a cat hoarders house could easily qualify as filth..
Possibly ... but that does not explain the criminal trespass. Something else must be going on.

LdiJ

Possibly ... but that does not explain the criminal trespass. Something else must be going on.
I am going to guess that the police believed that the OP stayed in the home overnight rather than just being there too early to clean.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">