• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Telemedicine Licensing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

State Residence is not a requirement of IMLCC

Compact Eligibility Requirements:
  • You must hold a full, unrestricted medical license in a Compact Member State that are available to serve as an SPL (please see map on home page).
    AND at least one of the below must apply: (SPL Qualification-section 4(a))
    a. Your primary residence is in the SPL(State of Principal Licensure)
    b. At least 25% of your practice of medicine occurs in the SPL
    c. Your employer is located in the SPL
    d. You use the SPL as your state of residence for U.S. federal income tax purposes
You have physician assistants and you have doctors. There are separate state licensing requirements and professional rules/ethics to consider.

You also have states that are not a part of any Compact.

And you have website development, with legal notices that must be drafted.

You will also need insurance to cover the lawsuits that may arise from your plan.

These issues, and more, need to be addressed. These are NOT issues that can be solved with links, with letters, with Internet forum advice.

You will NEED personal professional legal assistance.

Good luck.

Mass_Shyster

I'm going to be blunt here.

This is not a DIY project. You are, frankly, an idiot if you attempt something like this without a licensed attorney in the applicable state(s) advising you on it. A message board is not an appropriate substitute.
I think that response, and the included name-calling is somewhat harsh.

A buildout of a medical office has to be at least a $100k project. The buildout across 50 states would be $5 million. Hiring one doc and 50 PAs is another ton of money. I seriously doubt anyone with the capital to undertake such an enterprise would use a free advice website for anything but information gathering.

I suspect op was hoping for a yes or no (as asked) along the lines of : Yes, ABC medical is doing just that, or No, XYZ tried it but was shut down by the Ministry of Remote Medicine (a fictitious government entity).

quincy

I think that response, and the included name-calling is somewhat harsh.

A buildout of a medical office has to be at least a $100k project. The buildout across 50 states would be $5 million. Hiring one doc and 50 PAs is another ton of money.

I suspect op was hoping for a yes or no (as asked) along the lines of : Yes, ABC medical is doing just that, or No, XYZ tried it but was shut down by the Ministry of Remote Medicine (a fictitious government entity).
Yeah, the proposed plan is not one that lends itself to simple "yes" or "no" answers. :)

FreeAdviceGirl will need to find personal professional legal guidance to get the telemedicine website plans operational. I think the idea that all 50 states will be a part of this website medicine plan is optimistic at best. Many state laws and state professional licensing of medical professionals would need to be amended/changed to allow for participation.

In other words, I think the "Ministry of Remote Medicine" might have a few issues with a website that provides 50-state remote medical care and treatment.

That said, I also see telemedical care expanding it current uses in the future.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is there anything in my post that you disagree with? If she is not attempting this as a DIY project and is using one or more attorneys in the project, then the adjective does not apply. Note the use of the word, IF.

Mass_Shyster

Is there anything in my post that you disagree with? If she is not attempting this as a DIY project and is using one or more attorneys in the project, then the adjective does not apply. Note the use of the word, IF.
Sometimes I get sick and tired of the constant berating and name-calling. When I've had enough, I generally take a hiatus. Looks like it's that time again.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I really don't think that pointing out that it's idiotic to attempt a project like this by yourself is comparable to some of the outrageous name calling that we sometimes see here (and I do not disagree with you about that).

quincy

I think the difference is "idiotic" refers to an act and "idiot" refers to a person. Subtle but important difference. ;)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So due to one poor phrasing, I am now considered one of the offensive responders who make a practice of berating and name-calling?

I see.

quincy

So due to one poor phrasing, I am now considered one of the offensive responders who make a practice of berating and name-calling?

I see.
I think Shyster might have read several postings prior to this thread and your comment, coming as it did from one of the more level-headed members of the forum :), elicited his reaction.

I know I am so used to seeing minor insults being tossed about (e.g., idiot, jerk, numbskull - actually, I haven't seen "numbskull" but I like that word) that I hardly notice them any more. But the posters who come here for advice DO notice the insults and apparently are becoming more vocal about them.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I offer my apology to Shyster, whose good opinion I value (as I do yours, Q). However, I stand by my (amended) statement.

quincy

I offer my apology to Shyster, whose good opinion I value (as I do yours, Q). However, I stand by my (amended) statement.
I agree that it would be smart to have an attorney involved - and probably more than one. I don't see how the proposed plan can be implemented without legal assistance.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Here is a link to a January 2019 American Medical Association (AMA) article on telemedicine and its current uses, and who uses it the most:
https://www.ama-assn.org/practice-management/digital/which-medical-specialties-use-telemedicine-most

An AMA study in 2016 showed that little more than 15% of physicians use telemedicine in their practice, with cost being a major obstacle.
We have several several telemedicine devices in the hospital system that I work in. Mostly, they are used for psychiatric consults.

quincy

We have several several telemedicine devices in the hospital system that I work in. Mostly, they are used for psychiatric consults.
I know in my area hospitals, cardiac patients can be monitored remotely.

But cost is a major obstacle to widespread use of the technology that makes telemedicine possible. And telemedicine will be of little benefit if costs are passed on to patients.

A type of website that works to provide patients with actual medical care and treatment, and at lower cost, would be nice - but it will not be easy (or inexpensive) to develop such a website.

This is mostly where PAs will do consultations in their state (locally and over the phone), send any medication requests to corporate, corporate works with the doctor for the prescription and the partnering compounding pharmacy will mail medication to the patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">