• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UPS Damage Antique Motorcycle Engine Base

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

r2d201

FLORIDA.

What should I do on a Denied Insurance Claim from UPS. The Crankcase was broken, the integrity was greatly compromised and can't be repaired. Now they have denied the Claim.

From Hollywood FL I shipped by UPS with protection insurance of $2000 a Antique 1991 Harley-Davidson Crankcase. It's holds the Flywheel, that was sent to be repaired.

It was shipped in a big reinforced box (Inside and Out) full of Star Foam Peanuts and thick Foam Rubber to protect it. Apparently from what I saw in the Pictures the Receiver sent, that Box had to have been dropped from very high up.

To make matters worse Harley-Davidson Discontinued the Crankcases so I cant get another with the Vin Number stamped into it. FYI Harley-Davidson Stamps the Motorcycle Vin Number on the Crankcases and the Bikes Frame. Now they don't match. That means the $Value of this Antique 1991 Harley Davidson FXLR not worth what it was.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Read the agreement that you have with UPS to find out what (if any) recourse you have.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Actually, a 1991 car would be considered an antique. The magic age for cars is 25.

My understanding is that unlike cars, motorcycles have to be at least 35 years old in order to be considered antiques.
A 1991 car is a classic, not antique. Cars are not antique until 50 years.

justalayman

From Wikipedia

The Antique Automobile Club of America defines an antique car as over 25 years of age.

From a different website:

The Antique Motorcycle Club of America defines antique motorcycles as at least 35 years old

In the end it doesn’t reslly matter. The guys bike in not a collectible. There are many of them out there still. In xcelletn condition it’s worth less than $10,000. If fair condition it’s worth about $1250. Good and very good fall between them.

None of this line of discussion is relevant to the question asked.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
From Wikipedia

The Antique Automobile Club of America defines an antique car as over 25 years of age.

From a different website:

The Antique Motorcycle Club of America defines antique motorcycles as at least 35 years old

In the end it doesn’t reslly matter. The guys bike in not a collectible. There are many of them out there still. In xcelletn condition it’s worth less than $10,000. If fair condition it’s worth about $1250. Good and very good fall between them.

None of this line of discussion is relevant to the question asked.
Thank you!

Now, if only the OP would return and answer your question from post #2...

Mass_Shyster

A 1991 car is a classic, not antique. Cars are not antique until 50 years.
In Mass, a 20 year old car is a classic, and 25 years old is antique. That appears to apply to all motor vehicles. I considered registering my Jeep as an antique, but the insurance savings was only ten percent, and the restrictions are that it can only be used in "exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest". See https://www.mass.gov/files/RMV_Passenger_Plates_Booklet.pdf

I felt really old when I first saw my favorite year Corvette sporting antique plates.

justalayman

In Mass, a 20 year old car is a classic, and 25 years old is antique. That appears to apply to all motor vehicles. I considered registering my Jeep as an antique, but the insurance savings was only ten percent, and the restrictions are that it can only be used in "exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest". See https://www.mass.gov/files/RMV_Passenger_Plates_Booklet.pdf

I felt really old when I first saw my favorite year Corvette sporting antique plates.
States have taken liberty and use whatever number they want to use regarding antique plates.

In the rest of the country, since the title of being antique doesn’t actually make a lick of difference, the designation is simply an arbitrary standard.

pac72

id suggest finding a set of oem replacement cases , which would not be stamped with a vin , then when you have them ,a trip to your local Harley dealer with your unstamped cases and your damaged cases at that point they should be willing to stamp your vin into the new cases using their approved hd stamps.. same as they would do if the cases were replaced by them, but they could want to retain/destroy the old cases so theres not 2 of the same vin cases in existance

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">