• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation in Nevada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

June1619

What is the name of your state? Nevada
My brother and his "live-in" girlfriend of 13 years are both dead. They leave behind 3 children who my mom and I have cared for since they were born when they lived in Colorado. I would visit them over summer break, holidays, and spring break. I am the the children's aunt and I live in Colorado. My parents have recently filed for joint custody but that was denied. The children now live with their mother's family and the children's aunt on that side is planning on adopting the children.

So far my parents, can only receive grandparent rights based on Nevada standard practice (2 weeks in the summer, one day visits each month, and weekly phone calls) which is based on the children's therapist.

My question is how can I as their aunt who has had a long standing relationship with the children receive visitation separately from my parents? If so how can I do this without a lawyer? If I need a lawyer how can I find one who will support my position? What would be the steps/process to go forward with and without a lawyer?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to any advice you can give.

Last edited:

Just Blue

My brother and his "live-in" girlfriend of 13 years are both dead. They leave behind 3 children who I have cared for since they were born. I would visit them over summer break, holidays, and spring break. I am the the children's aunt and I live in Colorado. My parents have recently filed for joint custody but that was denied. The children now live with their mother's family and the children's aunt on that side is planning on adopting the children.

So far my parents, can only receive grandparent rights based on Nevada standard practice (2 weeks in the summer, one day visits each month, and weekly phone calls) which is based on the children's therapist.

My question is how can I as their aunt who has had a long standing relationship with the children receive visitation separately from my parents? If so how can I do this without a lawyer? If I need a lawyer how can I find one who will support my position? What would be the steps/process to go forward with and without a lawyer?

Well...First off you haven't "cared for them since they were born". You have extensively visited them...but to say they were in your care is implying you had custody and you did not.

You can call the NV state bar and ask for a referral or 10. Call those attorneys referred to you and ask if they would "support" you position in this matter. I think if you can pay their fee they will be very supportive. You, IMO, have no standing, and I believe the Judge would tell you to visit on Grandmothers time.

Why won't the guardians allowing you to visit with the children? Bad blood?

LdiJ

My brother and his "live-in" girlfriend of 13 years are both dead. They leave behind 3 children who I have cared for since they were born. I would visit them over summer break, holidays, and spring break. I am the the children's aunt and I live in Colorado. My parents have recently filed for joint custody but that was denied. The children now live with their mother's family and the children's aunt on that side is planning on adopting the children.

I am sorry, but an aunt or uncle does not have standing to file for visitation rights in Nevada. You will need to accept whatever visitation the adoptive parents will be willing to give you voluntarily, or see the children on your parent's time.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My question is how can I as their aunt who has had a long standing relationship with the children receive visitation separately from my parents?
Honestly? Make nice with the other grandparents/aunt. Be aware that, if you take this through the courts and lose (which I would expect)? Your relationship w/the kids (apart from through your parents) will be cut off until they (each) turn 18.

Have your parents received visitation through the courts, or out of the kindness of the other set of grandparents?

June1619

Is their bad blood? Yes but not on my part, I was cut off from talking to the kids for 7 months. The family that they live with moved and a birthday card came back in the mail for one of my nephews. No reason was given until we ( my parents and I ) went to one on the children's therapy meetings, they finally said the kids didn't want to talk on the phone. If that was the case someone could have said/text this reason. My parents are at a point where they are willing to walk away, they have a lawyer who relies on my dad to most of the work and charges like he did it. Also my parents are not listed on any court proceedings and are not able to get a copy of the hearing we have attended. I know we are getting the run around and that thing are in motion behind our back.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Is their bad blood? Yes but not on my part, I was cut off from talking to the kids for 7 months. The family that they live with moved and a birthday card came back in the mail for one of my nephews. No reason was given until we ( my parents and I ) went to one on the children's therapy meetings, they finally said the kids didn't want to talk on the phone. If that was the case someone could have said/text this reason. My parents are at a point where they are willing to walk away, they have a lawyer who relies on my dad to most of the work and charges like he did it. Also my parents are not listed on any court proceedings and are not able to get a copy of the hearing we have attended. I know we are getting the run around and that thing are in motion behind our back.
So your parents don't have court-ordered visitation? I wonder if your brother actually established paternity?

I think you need a lawyer, but I wouldn't be too hopeful. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">