• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carwin27

Hello. I am wondering: I was told unless by my city's traffic division if a non officer records me running a red light, illegal turn, or speeding, then shows an officer, that I can't get in trouble. I'm not sure but IF I ran a red light, it looked like my vehicle was past the intersection.
Also, I want to be as anonymous as possible, but I have called the traffic division and fortunately they said they no longer use red light cameras in my city. Now this is what I do worst case: I have taken pictures of red light camera signs required to be posted within 200 feet. I also take pictures of areas where there is a red light violation sign but no camera. If an officer didn't record me, how would these defenses hold in court?
Also, if I don't hurt anyone, but run a red light, am I still able to be charged with reckless driving??

Just Blue

Hello. I am wondering: I was told unless by my city's traffic division if a non officer records me running a red light, illegal turn, or speeding, then shows an officer, that I can't get in trouble. I'm not sure but IF I ran a red light, it looked like my vehicle was past the intersection.
Also, I want to be as anonymous as possible, but I have called the traffic division and fortunately they said they no longer use red light cameras in my city. Now this is what I do worst case: I have taken pictures of red light camera signs required to be posted within 200 feet. I also take pictures of areas where there is a red light violation sign but no camera. If an officer didn't record me, how would these defenses hold in court?
Also, if I don't hurt anyone, but run a red light, am I still able to be charged with reckless driving??
Who told you that? There are 50 states in this country with there own laws. Which one are you in?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I've read this several times and I come to the same point each time: HUH?
You'll be charged with failure to stop at the red light.

carwin27

Were you actually ticketed for driving offenses? If so please look at the ticket(s) and give the code. Thanks..
No. Let me make it easier though: first off don’t you think it’s believable if the traffic court in my city’s police said red light cameras are no longer used?? Also what I’m asking is if I need to fight one, wouldnt pictures I took (live ones lacking warning signs within 200 feet. Those are required before red light caneras) hold defese? IF the pics do how much can they help?

ALawyer

I am unclear as to whether you are asking a hypothetical question -- which I don't waste my time answering -- or something real. As a general rule, unless you were spotted on a speed or traffic light camera (which your city apparently no longer uses -- so no problem) or are physically pulled over and issued a ticket there's nothing to worry about.

ShyCat

How about you stop running red lights instead of wasting time preparing for a possible defense? Such preparation makes the offense appear pre-meditated, not accidental. Worry more about not hurting others and less about trying to get out of a well-deserved ticket. Start taking red lights seriously. About a year ago a commercial truck ran a red light and hit my SUV, the second vehicle crossing the intersection. The police officer said he was sure he would find blood and brains when he walked up to my window and was surprised to find us intact. Kudos to the safety features of my totaled SUV, we survived. Others might not have been so lucky.

CdwJava

Short answer is that under CA law if a private person observes you committing a public offense (which includes a traffic infraction) they CAN report it to the police and the matter CAN (potentially) be prosecuted. Whether it WILL be is another question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">