• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This could be you...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Blue

Let us hope that this horrible tragedy at least inspires change in how state-to-state communications about such violations are processed.
I'm hoping that at least one DD reads of this tragedy and rethinks driving while drunk again. Every person that has gone out drinking and drove after is just lucky if they didn't injure or kill someone with their actions. Just pure luck. They may not be so lucky next time.

Answer: because (1) not all who go to a bar drink, or if they do, do not drink enough to become impaired, (2) those that do drink too much may be there with a designated driver who doesn't, and (3) employees, suppliers, and others also need to park there.

The problem with both the DUI and the gun debates on both sides is that people tend to resort to statements, not unlike the one you just made, that are meant to get an emotional response rather than looking at it more logically. I hate drunk driving. Four members of my family were killed and another injured all in a single accident because some idiot drove while seriously intoxicated — like falling down drunk — and should have known better than to drive. The drunk driver of course survived. As this was in the days before DUI was taken seriously, the drunk driver got a slap on the wrist. That isf part of the reason I have over the years supported many bills to crack down on DUI driving. But I don't get behind the more extreme ideas. All regulation should be reasonable and target as narrowly as possible what the real problem is. You don't use a nuke to swat a fly.

I take the same view of guns. I support the 2nd amendment but I also see a place for reasonable regulation. I have no respect for some of the most ardent gun supporters who take the stance that all regulation affecting gun owners must be opposed. That unfortunately seems to be the prevailing view of the NRA in the last several decades, even though it did not always hold that position. Just like with cars and DUI drivers, some firearm regulation is needed, but it should be reasonable, not overbroad, and target the problem we seek to address.
It still comes down to the same issue, some people cannot be trusted with lethal weapons, be it firearms or cars, But if someone is stupid with a firearm they get it taken away and not allowed to own one anymore. Be stupid in a car and they will keep giving the car back no matter how many times the person shows they cannot be trusted with one.
I would love to see multiple DUI's made a felony and, just like a firearm the felon is never allowed to posses a car again. We could even enact a new law entitled "Felon in possession of a vehicle", which would carry the same penalty as "Felon in possession of a firearm"
Never going to happen though.

quincy

It still comes down to the same issue, some people cannot be trusted with lethal weapons, be it firearms or cars, But if someone is stupid with a firearm they get it taken away and not allowed to own one anymore. Be stupid in a car and they will keep giving the car back no matter how many times the person shows they cannot be trusted with one.
I would love to see multiple DUI's made a felony and, just like a firearm the felon is never allowed to posses a car again. We could even enact a new law entitled "Felon in possession of a vehicle", which would carry the same penalty as "Felon in possession of a firearm"
Never going to happen though.
More states now are looking at the mandatory installation of ignition interlock devices and the "marking" of driver's licenses to help prevent drivers already convicted of a drunk driving offense from operating a vehicle again when under the influence.

Unfortunately, first time drunk drivers are as dangerous as those who have been convicted of drunk driving in the past.

Education is important but there will always be some people who remain ignorant by choice. No solution is going to be perfect because people are imperfect.

Mass_Shyster

More states now are looking at the mandatory installation of ignition interlock devices and the "marking" of driver's licenses to help prevent drivers already convicted of a drunk driving offense from operating a vehicle again when under the influence.

Unfortunately, first time drunk drivers are as dangerous as those who have been convicted of drunk driving in the past.
I think most first time drunk drivers learn their lesson. This is evidenced by the ration of first time arrests vs subsequent offenders. I'd estimate it at ten to one, meaning that 90% do not reoffend.

quincy

I think most first time drunk drivers learn their lesson. This is evidenced by the ration of first time arrests vs subsequent offenders. I'd estimate it at ten to one, meaning that 90% do not reoffend.
I think your 90% is way off ... but I am not willing to spend time to prove it. :)

Mass_Shyster

I think your 90% is way off ... but I am not willing to spend time to prove it. :)
OK, not 90%, but still the majority.

I just checked the first 500 dockets from May in my court. There were 17 arrests for OUI liquor. 14 were first offense, two second offense, and one 4th offense. That's 82%. Small sample size, clearly subject to error. Also missing are people who were previously charged out of state, but in my experience, those are pretty rare. Most people stay close to home.

Mass_Shyster

I just read that ICE placed a detainer on this guy. But don't worry, I'm sure it'll be ignored.
Mass ignores them. I don't know about NH. I think he's also got a pending OUI in CT. They should issue a warrant when he misses his next court date, so when NH is done with him, they'll send him along to CT.

Education is important but there will always be some people who remain ignorant by choice. No solution is going to be perfect because people are imperfect.
I'm not talking about ignition interlocks, which are a waste of time, do a search on "interlock bypass" to see what I mean, I'm talking about taking the car away from them permanently, just like a firearm is taken from someone who can't be trusted with one.

ajkroy

I'm not talking about ignition interlocks, which are a waste of time, do a search on "interlock bypass" to see what I mean, I'm talking about taking the car away from them permanently, just like a firearm is taken from someone who can't be trusted with one.
Not to be argumentative, but vehicles are generally registered to the owners. Firearms do not require to be registered in many states; the most ardent 2A supporters rail against "the government" knowing how many and which kind of weapons they own. In your example, how can one be sure that the unsafe gun owner has had all of their firearms stripped from them?

PAPP

I hope it's okay for me to ask a question related to DUI here. I'm sorry for hijacking your thread, Just Blue.

I'm wondering how to report a suspected DUI driving effectively especially on the highways. Last week, I saw a suspected DUI driving on a highway when I was driving alone. I didn't report it and it bugs me. I understand I call 911 to report it. However, it's not easy for me to do it when I'm driving by myself. For safety reason, I don't use my cell phone while I'm driving. Only time it's out of my bag is when I need to use a road navigation app. I have a dash cam in my car and I can record my reading a suspected DUI driver's license plate, but to retrieve it and call 911, I need to stop my car. On the highways, I have to wait for the closest exit to make a stop. Timing wise, is it not too late to report it? Sorry for my ignorance. I'm not an experienced driver and I'm lack of this kind of knowledge. Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You could get a bluetooth earpiece and/or a bluetooth speaker that attaches to your visor. That way, you don't have to actually manipulate your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">