• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have 3 issues with my landlord. Is he violating any laws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am a new tenant in Maryland, just moved in to a house with 4 others.

1) The landlord unscrewed all the outside lights to the house, saying he wants to save electricity and does not want the lights on after midnight (even though his written note says 5am - he said he changed his mind though), and he said some tenants are leaving them on. I work late at night and come back home when it's pitch black. I asked why he does not get a light sensor, and he refuses to spend extra money on that.

2) The shower rod is all rusted and keeps falling down when a tenant uses the shower. He claims the shower rod is fine and refuses to get another one, claiming whoever uses it is pulling DOWN on the curtains too hard and makes the rod fall. (I don’t know if this is true or not). Every time I put it back up to fix it, I get rust all over my hands. Is this not a safety hazard?

3) The landlord admitted he would keep the AC between 70 and 72 degrees just before I signed the lease. After I moved in, he increased temperature to 74 to save electricity, but it gets as high as 78 degrees at night and I have trouble sleeping at that high temp (it is 72 in day however). He claims the AC does not kick in at night because the outside temp is not hot enough. But I did not think inside AC went off of outside temps, but inside temps. I suspect he is raising the thermostat higher at night.

LdiJ

1) The landlord unscrewed all the outside lights to the house, saying he wants to save electricity and does not want the lights on after midnight (even though his written note says 5am - he said he changed his mind though), and he said some tenants are leaving them on. I work late at night and come back home when it's pitch black. I asked why he does not get a light sensor, and he refuses to spend extra money on that.

2) The shower rod is all rusted and keeps falling down when a tenant uses the shower. He claims the shower rod is fine and refuses to get another one, claiming whoever uses it is pulling DOWN on the curtains too hard and makes the rod fall. (I don’t know if this is true or not). Every time I put it back up to fix it, I get rust all over my hands. Is this not a safety hazard?

3) The landlord admitted he would keep the AC between 70 and 72 degrees just before I signed the lease. After I moved in, he increased temperature to 74 to save electricity, but it gets as high as 78 degrees at night and I have trouble sleeping at that high temp (it is 72 in day however). He claims the AC does not kick in at night because the outside temp is not hot enough. But I did not think inside AC went off of outside temps, but inside temps. I suspect he is raising the thermostat higher at night.

Just Blue

Does the LL live in the house with you and the roomies?

LdiJ

Is the shower rod the kind that has rubber ends and rotates/screws to fit the space. Or is it another type? If its the former you could buy one yourself and then take it with you when you move out. I don't have any solutions to offer for the AC or the outside lights. You might consider a portable fan for your bedroom.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is the shower rod the kind that has rubber ends and rotates/screws to fit the space. Or is it another type? If its the former you could buy one yourself and then take it with you when you move out. I don't have any solutions to offer for the AC or the outside lights. You might consider a portable fan for your bedroom.
...and a flashlight.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
It's always good to have a flashlight of some sort on hand, especially during hurricane season. Additionally, the solar pathway lights are a cost effective solution.

Shower curtain tension rods (that's what amazon calls them) are fairly inexpensive and can be used even if there is other hardware.

I do not know if there are local rules about AC/temperature control, or if there is anything in your lease addressing that. A fan and/or dehumiditer can help.

Gail in Georgia

To answer your question; no, the landlord is not violating any laws (there is no shower rod law in Maryland).

1. How about looking on line for a light sensor you can purchase and screw into one of outside lights since this issue appears to involve you. They are not very expensive. If not, the suggestions for a flashlight are also very good.

2. Same as above. Inexpensive shower rods can be purchased at Walmart, Family Dollar, Dollar General, General Dollar, etc. etc. stores.

3. While some states have rules on heating regulations (i.e., how warm a rental property must be WHEN THE LANDLORD IS PROVIDING THE HEAT SOURCE), the same is not true for air conditioning. In truth, many states do not require that air even be provided but, that if it is, it remain in a good working order. It would appear that the air does work; just not to your satisfaction. If you think the landlord is turning the thermostat up, go check the thermostat to see.

Good luck

Gail

LdiJ

To answer your question; no, the landlord is not violating any laws (there is no shower rod law in Maryland).

1. How about looking on line for a light sensor you can purchase and screw into one of outside lights since this issue appears to involve you. They are not very expensive. If not, the suggestions for a flashlight are also very good.
I don't think that is feasible since the OP stated that the Landlord disconnected the outside lights.

2. Same as above. Inexpensive shower rods can be purchased at Walmart, Family Dollar, Dollar General, General Dollar, etc. etc. stores.[/quote}

Agreed

FarmerJ

If your room has vents for the heat/ac then perhaps you might go to a large hardware / lumberyard store and buy a booster blower that is designed to sit on top of heat vent or magnetically stick to register that has a tiny fan in it and it is used help draw treated air into one area , since it is not a permanent install it will be yours to take when you vacate. AS to out door lighting at night your city hall would be a good place to learn if there are any local ords that address this since your renting.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
You don't even need a flashlight if you have a smart phone. There are flashlight apps that are quite bright.

Getting rust on your hands is NOT a safety hazard.

And getting a fan for your room is the easiest solution.

Are you having "buyer's remorse"? Because these are such petty complaints it appears that you just want out of the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">