• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit Deduction for Damaged Cabinet: Wear and Tear or Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saschuds

The bottom of one of my kitchen cabinets was essentially heated up so much that its plastic coated edge at the bottom melted and the bottom of the cabinet is slightly bubbled now. Does that fall under damage or wear and tear? I'm thinking that she had no idea the cabinet could melt. I hadn't warned her, etc.

quincy

If there is an electrical outlet on the wall below the cabinet, it would be reasonable for a tenant to assume it okay to place in that area appliances like toasters or coffee makers or crock pots. But most people should know better than to plug in a heat-producer like any of those and place them directly below the cabinet when in use.

Are you wondering if you should deduct from the tenant's security deposit the cost to repair or replace the cabinet?

I think you have a good argument for a deduction, as "bubbling" the cabinet's finish is damage rather than normal wear and tear. Whether you want to give the tenant a break and eat the costs of repair/replacement yourself, though, is a decision you will have to make on your own.

LdiJ

If there is an electrical outlet on the wall below the cabinet, it would be reasonable for a tenant to assume it okay to place in that area appliances like toasters or coffee makers or crock pots. But most people should know better than to plug in a heat-producer like any of those and place them directly below the cabinet when in use.

Are you wondering if you should deduct from the tenant's security deposit the cost to repair or replace the cabinet?

I think you have a good argument for a deduction, as "bubbling" the cabinet's finish is damage rather than normal wear and tear. Whether you want to give the tenant a break and eat the costs of repair/replacement yourself, though, is a decision you will have to make on your own.
I am wondering just how long the tenant has been in the unit? A crock pot would NOT cause that kind of damage. Nor would a coffee maker or most on the counter appliances. One of those old fashioned electric skillets perhaps could cause heat damage but I cannot image any other kind of current appliances causing that kind of damage.

quincy

I am wondering just how long the tenant has been in the unit? A crock pot would NOT cause that kind of damage. Nor would a coffee maker or most on the counter appliances. One of those old fashioned electric skillets perhaps could cause heat damage but I cannot image any other kind of current appliances causing that kind of damage.
Something apparently damaged the cabinet.

FarmerJ

Even todays so called modern toasters aren't as hot as older toasters which could be why all those newer toasters in the houses at work seem to be slow. SO If I was the tenant my argument to a LL who tried charge me for that would be first `my lease didn't forbid me from using any heat making appliance on that counter an did not do anything to damage it!

quincy

Even todays so called modern toasters aren't as hot as older toasters which could be why all those newer toasters in the houses at work seem to be slow. SO If I was the tenant my argument to a LL who tried charge me for that would be first `my lease didn't forbid me from using any heat making appliance on that counter an did not do anything to damage it!
And the landlord will respond with before and after photos. ;)

If the tenant didn't damage the cabinet, who did?

FarmerJ

Gotta ask , Are these kitchen cabs the all white ones that are made of particle board that has white plastic strips glued to the edges ? If so Ive installed those cheap POC units in a house I helped remodel long ago , they looked great when brand new but I think they just were not built well and certainly not designed to last long. SO how much space is there between the underside of the cab and the counter ? and if its not a lot of space then did your lease restrict you from using a heat generating appliance on that counter ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">