• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final move out charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texas
I just received a second bill from my landlord from my previous address for $1120. The first bill was for $453. I was charged for valet trash even though I moved out 7/31 and had worked with the manager to use the extra 2 days to clean and she said it was fine. I even offered to pay for the two days since I work at a clinic and was moving myself. I understand the carpet getting replaced. It not sure why it cost $780? Then charging $30 for valet trash, an amenity fee which I’m not sure what that is, and then being charged until 8/6 late fees even though keys were given on the 4th and apartment had not been leased yet. Which bill do I pay? Why did I get 2 invoices? And can I negotiate down the carpet price from $780 to cheaper. I lived in that apartment for 4 years, and when do I have to pay the final invoice? Can I set up payment options? Please help I don’t want this on my credit and I’m already in a new place and they gave me the non renewal without a reason too

Last edited:

FarmerJ

When you moved in 4 years ago was that carpet brand new ? if it wasn't new your free to sue the LL in small claims court and ask for full refund knowing the court will decide whats fair or not and let the LL explain to a judge how they determined the depreciated value of carpet that wasn't new when you moved in and consumed 4 years of its life. IF your original lease didn't explain to you what valet trash fees were for perhaps your LL can tell that same judge if you include that in the filing too. LL can explain why they are entitled to fees up until the 8th. SO your also saying that your new LL has already chosen to give you advance notice that they wont renew your current lease? If so then make darn sure you pay your rent on or before its due date so you are never late, Itake good care of the current rental, in month 10 or 11 ask them to refer you to a local carpet cleaning company and if they say NO then ask how much they charge to clean carpets at move outs , if they wont tell you then warn them you will hire a local carpet cleaning firm to clean it and if they charge you to re clean it unfairly you will let a judge in small claims court see your receipt and decide if your being fair or not. Take plenty of pictures of th new place and get them dated when you print them and plan for exit pictures to show how nice and clean you leave it and plan on being done moving ON TIME or even one day early.

When you moved in 4 years ago was that carpet brand new ? if it wasn't new your free to sue the LL in small claims court and ask for full refund knowing the court will decide whats fair or not and let the LL explain to a judge how they determined the depreciated value of carpet that wasn't new when you moved in and consumed 4 years of its life. IF your original lease didn't explain to you what valet trash fees were for perhaps your LL can tell that same judge if you include that in the filing too. LL can explain why they are entitled to fees up until the 8th. SO your also saying that your new LL has already chosen to give you advance notice that they wont renew your current lease? If so then make darn sure you pay your rent on or before its due date so you are never late, Itake good care of the current rental, in month 10 or 11 ask them to refer you to a local carpet cleaning company and if they say NO then ask how much they charge to clean carpets at move outs , if they wont tell you then warn them you will hire a local carpet cleaning firm to clean it and if they charge you to re clean it unfairly you will let a judge in small claims court see your receipt and decide if your being fair or not. Take plenty of pictures of th new place and get them dated when you print them and plan for exit pictures to show how nice and clean you leave it and plan on being done moving ON TIME or even one day early.
No my old apartment I just moved out of gave me the non renewal and did not tell me why. And the valet trash started when the new management company took over. And the carpet literally was laid as we moved stuff in. But I knew they would need to replace it but could I negotiate $780

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No my old apartment I just moved out of gave me the non renewal and did not tell me why. And the valet trash started when the new management company took over. And the carpet literally was laid as we moved stuff in. But I knew they would need to replace it but could I negotiate $780
In general, the life of carpet is 7 years, so the LL should not be charging you the full cost of replacement. Out of $780 (assuming that's the FULL cost of replacement), you could offer to py $334.29 (which represents 3/7 of the cost). Yes, you could attempt to negotiate.

Gail in Georgia

All your questions are those you should be asking your previous management company, not this forum. We have no idea why two bills, why the carpet replacement cost $780, whether you can negotiate down the price of the carpet, whether they will accept a payment plan, etc. Sorry...

Gail

Thank you FarmerJ and Zigner for the FREE advice and helping me get on a path I really appreciate free advice best thing ever created.. i look forward to getting more advice in the future

FarmerJ

B U H T just so you know the majority of states do not require a LL to tell a tenant exactly why a lease is not renewed and tenants who truly didn't know what the reason is are not likely to ever know , as far as you know you could have farted the wrong way in front of a property manager and they recommended no renewal be offered to their boss , up the chain further many who supervise property managers just accept the PMs recommendations and that's it especially when they take the view that every tenant is replaceable. BUT it would be worthwhile for you to find out from local carpet warehouse and install places what the life expectancy of the type of carpets used by big LLs is.

B U H T just so you know the majority of states do not require a LL to tell a tenant exactly why a lease is not renewed and tenants who truly didn't know what the reason is are not likely to ever know , as far as you know you could have farted the wrong way in front of a property manager and they recommended no renewal be offered to their boss , up the chain further many who supervise property managers just accept the PMs recommendations and that's it especially when they take the view that every tenant is replaceable. BUT it would be worthwhile for you to find out from local carpet warehouse and install places what the life expectancy of the type of carpets used by big LLs is.
Thank you so much for the help full advice I was able to negotiate and reduced my bill from $1100 to $725 so that definitely was handled I got charged for all 5 yrs of carpet life when I was there only for 31/2 yrs

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">