• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House into husband’s family trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ttori

What is the name of your state?
California

My husband and I own a house. We have been married for 6 years and the house was purchased after we got married.
However my husband lost his job beginning of the year and we struggle to pay for the mortgage.

And my mother in law offered to “help”. She wants pay for our mortgage and she wants the house title to be moved to her family’s trust.

I worked until I got pregnant with my daughter and then I went back to college to earn a nursing degree. Getting a full time job for me is hard because of the 3 year old child.

What does that mean to me in case of divorce or if something happens to my husband and we are no longer together? We have a child together. Will I be kicked out the house without a penny?

Any insight on how I should deal with this?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
If the home is transferred to the family trust then you won't own it anymore, and neither will your husband. Who then gets the home depends on the terms of the trust. I can pretty well bet that you aren't a beneficiary of his parent's family trust. Since the trust would own the house, the trustee of the trust could kick you out pretty much at any time unless you have a very good contract with the trust that guarantees you can stay in it. You really want to see a family law attorney of your own (not your husband's lawyer) for advice before you agree to do this because there are a lot of ways this could go wrong for you.

Pinkie39

If your husband isn't currently employed, why can't he watch the 3 year old during the day while you work?

A nurse should also have the option to work night shift

A 3 year old is old enough for preschool as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">