• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a company change the rules of a giveaway the day before the drawing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vbulljon

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am having a difficult time finding a lawyer for this issue. I began playing at the new Rosie's locations since they opened in May, I started playing there when they launched a Giveaway for cash prizes and a car with a cash option if I did not want the car. I played their locations and accumulated points or tickets to use towards this giveaway so I was led to believe I had better odds to win. I would ask the players club twice or three times a week for a rules sheet for the contest but they said they did not have one and its just basic and to the point, the more entries you have the better chance you have to win the main prize on drawing day. So I ran with this information and would continue to follow up and ask about it and was always given the same answer.

The day before the drawing I had spent around $120,000 in these locations and racked up a good amount of entries into this giveaway. I had an issue with some of my entries coming over from the other location because I thought they were all combined. After enough complaining someone went and printed off an official rules for the giveaway that I am just now seeing for the first time and after reading everything in detail it seems they changed the rules for the drawing. Instead of 1 winner it will be 5 winners and those 5 winners pick a "key" and the correct key wins the prize.

I have talked to multiple employees at the location and even managers that had no idea this rule sheet existed and didn't know the rules themselves. Everyone was surprised they changed it which now leaves me in a bind. I at first thought I was playing for a chance at winning due to the amount of entries I have, not that is reduced to me trying to win a 20% chance at the grand prize.
This is wrong and I should have had access to this Rule sheet before the promotion even began, their website also states to see the "Players club" for complete rules and details but this did not happen and they were not educated on it.

I have reached out to Rosie's for a resolution on this and I even offered what to do next time to keep this from happening but they have yet to reach back out to me as it has been 3 weeks now sense I reached out.

I feel I have been lied to, anyone that can help me in this matter I would greatly appreciate it.

PayrollHRGuy

It really doesn't change your odds at all.

Let's say there a 1Mil entires. Just drawing a single winner means the odds are 1,000,000 to 1.

If you start with the same 1Mil entries and then pull 5 out and then select 1 winner your odd don't change they are still 1,000,000 to 1.

I can't believe you spent $120,000 in gambling in one of these places and can't figure that out.

Vbulljon

I might have not explained it correctly.

This is how it was suppose to go, for an example if I had 10,000 entries. Everyone else has 1. My odds are then greater then the other people participating in this giveaway. If they draw 1 entry, I have more entries in the bowl.

How it actually went after they changed it was they drew 5 entries, and then after 5 were selected you had a 20% chance to select the correct key. My odds were much better with the scenario I said first.

Hopefully I explained it better this time.

Vbulljon

Instead of my odds being greater from the beginning. I then had the same chance as the other 4 people after they drew 5 entries.. Not how it was suppose to go. They defeated the purpose of me obtaining more entries for the greater odds to win. Not how it was promoted and how I was told multiple times from staff.

They changed the rules at the last second and this should not be allowed in my opinion.

PayrollHRGuy

It would only affect you if they only discarded you pull for the key if you had already been pulled.

Did they do that? Were you one of the five?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How do you know they changed the rules? Do you have a written copy of what you claim to be the original rules versus a copy of what you claim to be the changed rules?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...the more entries you have the better chance you have to win the main prize on drawing day.
That is actually a true statement with either version of the rules (the ones you believed existed or the ones that actually existed).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">