• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

law about district attendance officer visiting home in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onomonapeia

What is the name of your state? NJ

I am filling out paperwork to register my child for public school and the document wants me to initial the following statement:
"I understand that the District Attendance Officer has the right to visit the home to verify residency."

Being mistrustful by nature, I would like to find the wording of the law and to know exactly what this means, but would rather not show my paranoia to the office personnel (and am doubtful that they would know, labelling me THAT parent that I am even asking...) We own our home (with the bank anyway), and have no reason to suspect they would use this clause, but just the fact that it is there gives me a bad feeling.

I've tried searching, but they don't cite a statute and the obvious searches aren't working.

Anyone know what this means or how to find the wording? I assume that they are allowed to come to my house, but I don't have to let them in the door without a warrant, yes?

Thanks!
:)

FlyingRon

I would suspect so. However, I suspect they have to right (like just about anybody else) to "visit" your property unless you're locked behind some sort of fence that would prevent him from just knocking on the door.

quincy

You do not have to let anyone in your home without a warrant.

You say you are distrustful by nature. I imagine the school might be distrustful from experience.

There probably has been a history of out-of-district students registering using the in-district addresses of relatives or friends.

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I assume that they are allowed to come to my house, but I don't have to let them in the door without a warrant, yes?
Correct. But bear in mind that if you refuse to let the officer in and as a result the district cannot verify that the student resides there that may start the process for unenrolling the student and perhaps seeking reimbursement for tuition as well.

The district has likely had arguments with some parents over the right of the officer to even come to the house, and the form is basically trying to head that problem off by having something they can point to should you ever say you didn't know they could show up. Good school districts across the country have problems with parents who live out of district falsely claiming they live in district to get their kids what they see as a better education. That's costly for the students (and the taxpayers who pay for the schools) so they do make efforts to weed out those situations. If you aren't one of those parents I suspect you'll never have any need to worry over any home visits.

Pinkie39

You do not have to let anyone in your home without a warrant.

You say you are distrustful by nature. I imagine the school might be distrustful from experience.

There probably has been a history of out-of-district students registering using the in-district addresses of relatives or friends.
Yep. I rent a house in a suburban
school district, and have a child in public high school. I have to provide a copy of my lease to the school district every year, to prove I still live there.

quincy

Yep. I rent a house in a suburban
school district, and have a child in public high school. I have to provide a copy of my lease to the school district every year, to prove I still live there.
We must show proof of residency in the school district for enrollment in our public schools in Michigan, too.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In general, there does not need to be a law giving someone permission to do something. If there isn't a law prohibiting it, it's legal. In the absence of a law saying the district attendance officer cannot visit your home, he or she can.

That being said, there likewise isn't a law that prohibits you from saying they can't come in. Since there's no law that says you can't keep them out of your house, you can.

And THAT being said, if I were the district attendance officer and I was prohibited from entering a home, I'd be real curious as to what the homeowner was hiding with regards to their childrens' residency.

Last edited:

onomonapeia

Thanks everyone. My husband thinks I'm insane for even questioning it... but, the paperwork they already want to show we live here is insane! I find it hard to believe that anyone is successful at sneaking in to the school system unless the person that does own the house is in on it and actively participates in allowing them to do so...

LdiJ

Thanks everyone. My husband thinks I'm insane for even questioning it... but, the paperwork they already want to show we live here is insane! I find it hard to believe that anyone is successful at sneaking in to the school system unless the person that does own the house is in on it and actively participates in allowing them to do so...
The person that does own the house is always in on it. It's usually a relative.

Pinkie39

Well, when I moved into my current home, I had to provide the school district with not just a lease and a utility bill, but also a voter registration record with my new address and a state ID or driver's license with my new address.

Plus I had to complete extra paperwork AND get approval from the superintendent to enroll my oldest child, then an incoming sophomore, because she had participated in school athletics at her previous (Catholic) high school. Apparently there's some kind of law or regulation in Ohio to try to prevent school districts from poaching student athletes from other schools.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">