• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High School Diploma and Transcripts Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J_H808

Would my school district be legally obligated to change my name on my HSD and Transcripts under the FERPA?? I just recently got my entire name changed on my birth certificate as well as my Social Security Card. This is really the last piece to the puzzle to set everything in stone. It may also be worth noting that I live in Arizona and graduated from High School in Delaware.

FlyingRon

Nope, FERPA doesn't cover name changes. First off, it only covers records maintained by the covered school, so they're not obliged to give you a new diploma (which is a document you maintain). Second, it only allows correction of errors. The fact that you have changed your name subseqeuntly does not indicate an error.

You possibly can get the school to issue you a transcript with a notation that you have a different name now. They've typically done this for girls who go off and get married and take their husbands name.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Would my school district be legally obligated to change my name on my HSD and Transcripts under the FERPA?? I just recently got my entire name changed on my birth certificate as well as my Social Security Card. This is really the last piece to the puzzle to set everything in stone. It may also be worth noting that I live in Arizona and graduated from High School in Delaware.
The transcripts are correct as-is.

quincy

Is the name change due to a gender change?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Nope, FERPA doesn't cover name changes. First off, it only covers records maintained by the covered school, so they're not obliged to give you a new diploma (which is a document you maintain). Second, it only allows correction of errors. The fact that you have changed your name subseqeuntly does not indicate an error.

You possibly can get the school to issue you a transcript with a notation that you have a different name now. They've typically done this for girls who go off and get married and take their husbands name.
I've not ever done that (and I've been married and divorced three times). Traditionally,. when a woman marries and takes her husband's last name, her maiden name is used as a middle name.

FlyingRon

I've not ever done that (and I've been married and divorced three times). Traditionally,. when a woman marries and takes her husband's last name, her maiden name is used as a middle name.
Yeah so, I was just pointing out it was a custom that schools have been dealing with for years. My wife certainly did not retain her maiden name. She still uses her given middle name.

quincy

Schools will often change names on school documents like transcripts and diplomas with proof of a legal change in name - but they generally will retain the old records and often will note on the new records that there has been a name change.

J_H808

I wouldn’t even have an issue with it if it was just a last name change but I got my entire name changed, first/middle/last... and what’s even more upsetting is that the name on my diploma and transcripts isn’t even my previous legal name, just the name I’ve gone by my entire life up until this year.

J_H808

The fact that you have changed your name subseqeuntly does not indicate an error.
It’s just really frustrating that I now have a birth certificate with my current legal name as if that’s what I was born as and it’s something totally different than my school papers. I think it’s kinda silly that one can go through all this to change their name and yet not be able to get everything transferred.

J_H808

Then how did you get a diploma in that name if it was not legally your name?
When I moved school districts I guess my mom registered my name as the name I’ve gone by and the school failed to do their job. I honestly have no idea, I was 12 at the time of the move.

FlyingRon

FERPA would allow correction of their internal docs (not your diploma) to match what should have been your legal name at the time.
That sounds like not the relief you are after. You should contact the district and explain your situation. These days with all the sex change things going on, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't already have a policy, but nothing in FERPA mandates such.

quincy

It’s just really frustrating that I now have a birth certificate with my current legal name as if that’s what I was born as and it’s something totally different than my school papers. I think it’s kinda silly that one can go through all this to change their name and yet not be able to get everything transferred.
You can get your name changed on documents. Although it takes time, you have already been through the hardest (and most expensive) part of the process.

Changing your name legally is a court process and all else branches off from that court order. You were able to get your birth certificate changed. You were able to get your name changed with social security office. With those changes, you can get your driver's license changed to reflect your new name.

Different schools have different policies and processes for changing names on school records. Contact your school to inquire. Colleges and universities often have forms for this purpose. High schools might not. All will require legal documentation of the name change.

Again, although these records can be changed to show your new legal name, the old records are not destroyed.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">