• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Do I deny access to a threatening tenant that has not moved in yet, one week after his lease started.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jblandlord

Tenant rented my apartment in Denver for one month. He is unable to move in until 15 days into his 30 night rental. Tenant wants me to refund his first 15 nights, and has sent several threatening messages, accusing me of ripping him off, of being unethical. Tenant has investigated the zoning for my house and is trying to find something to complain to the City about me. He has also threatened to take me to small claims court.
I feel unsafe with this renter, and do not want to grant him access to my house. I have filed a complaint with the Denver Police. Can I deny him access? Do I need to post a notice to quit or Demand for compliance or Right to Possession?
Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not going to touch on the legality of the matter because I think the practical side of the matter may need to take priority:

Offer to refund the entire amount in exchange for him not moving in. Sure, you lose out on some money, but you're probably going to be happy to have dodged a bullet in the long run.

xylene

Did he really threaten you? Like violence. Because someone saying they'll call code enforcement is not a threat, not like that.

Is your apartment and your short term lease legal in your area?

I would offer a full refund and get rid of the person.

I would also look very carefully at my business model and the legal details of my business. I would also reevaluate if being a landlord was for me.

Just Blue

Tenant rented my apartment in Denver for one month. He is unable to move in until 15 days into his 30 night rental. Tenant wants me to refund his first 15 nights, and has sent several threatening messages, accusing me of ripping him off, of being unethical. Tenant has investigated the zoning for my house and is trying to find something to complain to the City about me. He has also threatened to take me to small claims court.
I feel unsafe with this renter, and do not want to grant him access to my house. I have filed a complaint with the Denver Police. Can I deny him access? Do I need to post a notice to quit or Demand for compliance or Right to Possession?
Thanks
What type of tenancy is this? MTM or Yearly?

FarmerJ

this person doesn't have keys yet does he ? First does this tenant have a clue that its his problem if he cant move even if he already paid his rent? Its certainly not your problem BUT if he has signed a lease and he has a copy of it from you and has met his initial obligation to you like having paid a deposit and first months rent then If you would rather not have him there offer a refund only if he will sign a release to you , something as simple as he agrees to cancel the lease in exchange for a refund

FarmerJ

Last if you are concerned there could be more of a problem make sure you have someone else with you when you meet him if he accepts your offer to refund him in exchange for agreeing to cancel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">