• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abusive Sibling POA and Elderly Mothers Estate Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t74

I have also had a parent with memory issues that insisted on driving despite the fact that he probably should not have been driving. My mother didn't finally yank the car keys until the third time the police called her to come and get him because he was lost and disoriented.

Yes, but for every elderly person like your family member and my father, there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of them who are of no danger to themselves or others.

You made a decision based on your health. That does not mean that every person who is in your general age bracket should make the same decision.

What attitude? I do not see this poster as having an "attitude" in any way, shape or form.

Many people older than myself are safe drivers. However, many are not. At one point every one of my child;s friends had been in a car accident where the at fault driver was elderly. Even my own children were hit in a VW Bug by an elderly woman who decided not to wait for the green arrow and was dragging their car with her down the road with one of the doors [popped open because of the bent frame. Fortunately, both boys were wearing seat belts otherwise my now college professor chuld would have been dead on the street. Oh, and the one driving tried to avoid the accident; you could see the skid marks from the beetle in the intersection.

I believe all drivers following an accident or upon request by a doctor, famiily member or concerned citizen should be retested. Pass or lose their license.

OP has an attitude that is detrimental to helping his mother. There are things he should be looking at even from the distance he lives from her. He just wants to argue - LdiJ, a lot like you whenever I post - rather than look at another viewpoint. Much of what I have learned lately has a legal basis as well as a personal one. But I am now done with this thread. You help him/

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have also had a parent with memory issues that insisted on driving despite the fact that he probably should not have been driving. My mother didn't finally yank the car keys until the third time the police called her to come and get him because he was lost and disoriented.

Yes, but for every elderly person like your family member and my father, there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of them who are of no danger to themselves or others.

You made a decision based on your health. That does not mean that every person who is in your general age bracket should make the same decision.

What attitude? I do not see this poster as having an "attitude" in any way, shape or form.
Apparently we are lucky your father didn't kill anyone and destroy a family because of his moronic idiocy. THIRD TIME? Seriously? The first time, his keys should have been yanked until a doctor cleared him. But apparently you and your mother didn't care that much about others. That is ridiculous. Your father was a danger and nothing was done. OP's sister is trying to minimize the danger. Nothing wrong with that. Though with your ignorance LD, you won't see this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">