• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have a house guest being scammed into fraudulent activity. How do I protect myself and property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sally Colby

What is the name of your state?
Oregon
My house guest is being scammed by an online romance scam involving fraudulent activity. I've asked him to leave but he's already involved my address.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oregon
My house guest is being scammed by an online romance scam involving fraudulent activity. I've asked him to leave but he's already involved my address.
How long has he been your guest? What is the scam?

quincy

Oregon
In addition to Ohiogal's questions, how exactly are you and your address being involved in the "online romance scam" that has entangled your house guest? Have you contacted the police?

Sally Colby

He has been staying, on and off, in a motor home in my back yard for about 6 months.
Some "woman" from online has been communicating with him. She says she loves him and wants to meet him but can't afford it or that's the story he's saying. Never-the-less somehow this woman got him a credit card or credit line a little over a week ago or something like that. What I know to be a fact is he received a gold coin from the US Mint valued at just under $2,000. I've seen the coin and the receipt which is in his name. Now he is supposed to send the coin to somewhere in Kuala Lompur. For this he will be given a $20 reshipping fee. He was emailed 10 shipping labels from this woman for FEDEX to print out but is unable to print the labels. I checked the tracking number from one of the labels from FEDEX and it's legit. He's supposed to do this 10 times in order to make $200 so this woman can come meet him.
I'm freaking out because I can see this is a scam but he is being stubborn and blind. This "woman" and the US Mint have my address which he used without asking (probably because he knew I would say "NO" and see the scam for what it is).
I worried about the credit card being stolen and the US Mint coming here looking for him or their money and/or this "woman" and her associates coming here to retrieve the coin.
No, I have not contacted the police. If if have to I will but would rather not to be put on their radar.

Sally Colby

I might have convinced him to return the coin to the Mint but have to contact Customer Service in order to do so and they're not available until working hours tomorrow.

quincy

He has been staying, on and off, in a motor home in my back yard for about 6 months.
Some "woman" from online has been communicating with him. She says she loves him and wants to meet him but can't afford it or that's the story he's saying. Never-the-less somehow this woman got him a credit card or credit line a little over a week ago or something like that. What I know to be a fact is he received a gold coin from the US Mint valued at just under $2,000. I've seen the coin and the receipt which is in his name. Now he is supposed to send the coin to somewhere in Kuala Lompur. For this he will be given a $20 reshipping fee. He was emailed 10 shipping labels from this woman for FEDEX to print out but is unable to print the labels. I checked the tracking number from one of the labels from FEDEX and it's legit. He's supposed to do this 10 times in order to make $200 so this woman can come meet him.
I'm freaking out because I can see this is a scam but he is being stubborn and blind. This "woman" and the US Mint have my address which he used without asking (probably because he knew I would say "NO" and see the scam for what it is).
I worried about the credit card being stolen and the US Mint coming here looking for him or their money and/or this "woman" and her associates coming here to retrieve the coin.
No, I have not contacted the police. If if have to I will but would rather not to be put on their radar.
You should contact your local police about the person who has been in contact with your house guest and ask the police to forward the information to the proper state agency.

The reason for reporting the scam is that other people as gullible as your house guest are being victimized.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">