• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Section 8 questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bigken626

What is the name of your state? Oakland,ca

Hi my aunt owns a triplex her and i live in the bottom apartment. So one of the apartments she rented to has section 8. He was a cool guy just him and his son. That was about 6 years ago his son moved out, and his older son started living with him. But a few issues has started these last 2 years. So the tenant with section 8 has at least 2 are 3 women up there each has about 4 kids . So you can hear kids running up and down the stairs of the building, running in the apartment 3 a.m in the morning its crazy. We confronted him about it he said their visiting. A year is not visiting. So now they leave but come back at night and stay the weekend. I'm sure they are homeless. He kicked his 26 year old son out because he doesn't want to work are do anything. So he is homeless still hangs around the building because he has no where to go. itell my aunt just call the police on him being out there but he be back. We called the police on them plenty of times yelling and screaming at each other. She told me she told section 8 all these issues but i don't see any changes. I told her to kick him out but she keeps telling me shes trying to contact section 8 on the issue. I tried contacting them and no luck. Most of the time i am at work. I don't know what she can do.

Just Blue

Hi my aunt owns a triplex her and i live in the bottom apartment. So one of the apartments she rented to has section 8. He was a cool guy just him and his son. That was about 6 years ago his son moved out, and his older son started living with him. But a few issues has started these last 2 years. So the tenant with section 8 has at least 2 are 3 women up there each has about 4 kids . So you can hear kids running up and down the stairs of the building, running in the apartment 3 a.m in the morning its crazy. We confronted him about it he said their visiting. A year is not visiting. So now they leave but come back at night and stay the weekend. I'm sure they are homeless. He kicked his 26 year old son out because he doesn't want to work are do anything. So he is homeless still hangs around the building because he has no where to go. itell my aunt just call the police on him being out there but he be back. We called the police on them plenty of times yelling and screaming at each other. She told me she told section 8 all these issues but i don't see any changes. I told her to kick him out but she keeps telling me shes trying to contact section 8 on the issue. I tried contacting them and no luck. Most of the time i am at work. I don't know what she can do.
Your aunt need to file for eviction based on the tenant violating the lease. Tell her to consult an attorney in Oakland.

adjusterjack

Agree. Neither you or she appears to be capable of handling this. She doesn't need Section 8's permission to evict somebody.

She needs to get out of the landlord business if she doesn't have the stones for it.

FarmerJ

You didn't say how much time is left on the lease BUT if its say 3 months left to go then refuse to renew the lease by writing a 60 day notice on real paper , make extra copies NOW and send via confirmed mail delivery Unless you find in your states landlord tenant laws a different requirement for notices she should be able to write one notice to him that says the date it was written her name , tenant name and tenant address and something to the effect of This is your notice that I am not planning to renew your lease and vacate ( address ) ( at least 60 days before the last day of the lease to make it meet Ca law for tenants who have been there for more than one year its 60 days) If he wont leave then she will have to evict him thru the courts. As to complaining to S8 about her tenants behaviours and his so called guest , its pretty much pointless , most S8 programs wont do any thing about tenants who violate leases , even if its a tenant who wont pay the contracted part of the rent to the LL , then the LL has to deal with it on their own. Lease violations other than non payment normally take a lot of documentation to be able to satisfy the courts if your goal is to evict.

Gail in Georgia

Most caseworkers who work for this program as so loaded down with clients that the thought of one having to move sends chills up their spine.

But I agree. A tenant on this program can be evicted for violating the clauses in their lease (and I'm assuming the lease does not allow a parade of homeless folks with offspring "visiting" 24/7) and may, in fact, lose their voucher for a number of year for such.

It would be beneficial to contact an attorney familiar with handling an eviction with a tenant on this program.

Gail

Bigken626

Agree. Neither you or she appears to be capable of handling this. She doesn't need Section 8's permission to evict somebody.

She needs to get out of the landlord business if she doesn't have the stones for it.
i agree with you kn that. What ever i say she wont listen to me she said she will handle it its her building. So that's where were at.

FarmerJ

Go find a copy of the movie called Pacific
Heights 1990 although it is primarily about someone who got into a unit , LL tolerated it at first, lied to the LL, became a squatter with ALL the rights that California grants tenants and in the end the couple who owned it ended up with a lot of financial headaches to the point of nearly losing it. Watch the movie with her and remind her that California state landlord and tenants laws are still to this day very tenant friendly and because she has lost control of that rental in the end it could become very very expensive for her if she keeps failing to ignore how the S8 tenant is treating her property.

I'm not in California, but your state may work the same way:
when a person is on Section 8 in this state, they receive a lease from Section 8- one requirement is the person cannot have anyone living in their apartment other than individuals listed on the lease. Usually a lease is for a single person, married couples, or parent and their underaged kids. Nobody else can move in without Section 8's approval.
If it's the same in California, I'd advise your aunt to go to the nearest Section 8 office in person. She'd probably have better luck than trying to get help over the phone.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not in California, but your state may work the same way:
when a person is on Section 8 in this state, they receive a lease from Section 8- one requirement is the person cannot have anyone living in their apartment other than individuals listed on the lease. Usually a lease is for a single person, married couples, or parent and their underaged kids. Nobody else can move in without Section 8's approval.
If it's the same in California, I'd advise your aunt to go to the nearest Section 8 office in person. She'd probably have better luck than trying to get help over the phone.
Huh? Why?
OP's aunt needs to evict, not jabber with the Section 8 office.

FarmerJ

Even if the Aunt goes to S8 with complaints about the tenant that suggest the tenant is violating the lease The property is still hers and S8 wont do any thing to remove the tenant. What S8 does is puts tenants into abatement where they wont pay the contracted rent to the LL so the tenant must pay full rent which again puts it all back on the LL to address.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">