• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found out a mistake in 485 document after green card approved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

accd.211

Hello, I am a super worrier, this question troubled me even I am supposed to be very happy after just getting the green card approval

I had my employment based interview a few days ago. Before interview, I prepared a list of arrival/departure dates since I came to US, with VISA status along with the dates. That was just to provide a clear picture of the activities so it would be easier to communicate during the interview. Then the interview officer took that list and kept it together with my file. I told her during the interview that the dates may not be precise.

My green card just got approved, but literally that same day it occurred to me, that I made a mistake on that list: I wrote H1B VISA for a company's entire 3 year duration but actually the first 8 months was on F1/OPT (OPT was 8 years ago, so I completely forgot about it when made the list)

Now I am worried, after 5 years if I want to apply for citizenship, or 10 years if I want to renew my green card, would that mistake be considered "lying"?
Is there anything I can do? I just wish I had never prepared that list :S

LdiJ

Hello, I am a super worrier, this question troubled me even I am supposed to be very happy after just getting the green card approval

I had my employment based interview a few days ago. Before interview, I prepared a list of arrival/departure dates since I came to US, with VISA status along with the dates. That was just to provide a clear picture of the activities so it would be easier to communicate during the interview. Then the interview officer took that list and kept it together with my file. I told her during the interview that the dates may not be precise.

My green card just got approved, but literally that same day it occurred to me, that I made a mistake on that list: I wrote H1B VISA for a company's entire 3 year duration but actually the first 8 months was on F1/OPT (OPT was 8 years ago, so I completely forgot about it when made the list)

Now I am worried, after 5 years if I want to apply for citizenship, or 10 years if I want to renew my green card, would that mistake be considered "lying"?
Is there anything I can do? I just wish I had never prepared that list :S
If you are really worried about it get a consult with a local immigration attorney. However, I think that a mistake of that kind is not likely to pose a problem. It would not have impacted the decision to give you a green card. The fact that eight years ago for a period of 8 months you were on F1/OPT would not have caused you to be denied a green card now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">