• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does it mean to be judgment proof ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gottoaskit

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I received a civil action from a debt collector but I have no job, I am unable to get one because I care for my disabled wife, I have no income & I have nothing of value to sell.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We could tell you, but you can type your exact question in to your favorite web search engine and get TONS of results...

quincy

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I received a civil action from a debt collector but I have no job, I am unable to get one because I care for my disabled wife, I have no income & I have nothing of value to sell.
That is pretty close to the definition of judgment proof - but judgments last a long time and can be renewed, so there is always the chance the judgment holder can collect on the debt in the future, should your financial situation change.

gottoaskit

That is pretty close to the definition of judgment proof - but judgments last a long time and can be renewed, so there is always the chance the judgment holder can collect on the debt in the future, should your financial situation change.

alright thank you, would one respond to the civil act saying such or just let the judge them self decide ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
alright thank you, would one respond to the civil act saying such or just let the judge them self decide ?
Here's the thing: "Judgment proof" is a misnomer. Nobody is immune from a judgment just because of their inability to pay. It would be better said that you are "collection proof" (at this time).

gottoaskit

Here's the thing: "Judgment proof" is a misnomer. Nobody is immune from a judgment just because of their inability to pay. It would be better said that you are "collection proof" (at this time).
It is generally best to answer the complaint and appear in court for the hearing.
I rightly do not see my situation changing anytime soon, but I thank both of you very much, helps me know which way to go.

quincy

I rightly do not see my situation changing anytime soon, but I thank both of you very much, helps me know which way to go.
If you have a legal aid clinic in your area, you could benefit from having an attorney look over the complaint you received and the facts of your debt, to make sure you do not have a legitimate defense to the claim (e.g., statute of limitations). If you have a defense, that could eliminate for you any worry about a judgment or future collection activity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">