• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal to give OK sign to cops?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Blue

You'd think. And in a rational world, that'd probably be true. I work at a University ... someone's mere presence can offend people here. (No, I m NOT kidding.)
I saw that ...I have no love at all for Jeff Sessions, but that was obnoxious. If you don't like him or what he has to say....don't go to the speech.

quincy

I saw that ...I have no love at all for Jeff Sessions, but that was obnoxious. If you don't like him or what he has to say....don't go to the speech.
Universities (and the cities where they are located) must consider public safety and the costs of ensuring it.

CdwJava

Universities (and the cities where they are located) must consider public safety and the costs of ensuring it.
So, we surrender free speech to the violence of the far left? Not much of a choice. Fortunately, the courts out here appear to have determined that the expense of security that MIGHT be needed as a result of violent protesters cannot be cited as the reason for prohibiting a speaker from appearing. It's also why 2020 is likely to be a very busy year for overtime - even more so than 2016. I just wonder how many of my peers will be forced to medically retire as a result of these protests and stories of the violence that did not make the nightly news. :mad: (Anyone who thinks that having bricks and explosives hurled at you is "non-violent" is full of cr** ... yet, the order to stand down and not act was given at two events a couple years ago... we used to call these actions ADW, today it is an acceptable form of political protest. After all, it's only the cops that get injured and maimed.)

quincy

So, we surrender free speech to the violence of the far left? Not much of a choice. Fortunately, the courts out here appear to have determined that the expense of security that MIGHT be needed as a result of violent protesters cannot be cited as the reason for prohibiting a speaker from appearing. It's also why 2020 is likely to be a very busy year for overtime - even more so than 2016. I just wonder how many of my peers will be forced to medically retire as a result of these protests and stories of the violence that did not make the nightly news. :mad: (Anyone who thinks that having bricks and explosives hurled at you is "non-violent" is full of cr** ... yet, the order to stand down and not act was given at two events a couple years ago... we used to call these actions ADW, today it is an acceptable form of political protest. After all, it's only the cops that get injured and maimed.)
Or violence of the far right (as I think of the Charlottesville murder).

I had a “bowl cut” when I was a toddler. Little did my mom know ... but I WAS a bit of an evil toddler.

LdiJ

CdwJava

Or violence of the far right (as I think of the Charlottesville murder).

I had a “bowl cut” when I was a toddler. Little did my mom know ... but I WAS a bit of an evil toddler.
I cannot recall the last time I was called upon to confront a mob of radical conservatives. And the Charlottesville murder was the act of a single radical alt-right whack-job and not part of the mob surrounding him all agreeing that hurling deadly weapons at the police or others was a good idea. Nowm, had there been an organized act of a bunch of that guy's peers all driving cars into the protesting mob, I might agree with you. But, it wasn't. The violence by the leftist protesters is organized, VERY organized, and targeted. And, guess who has a target on their back ... and their forehead ...

CdwJava

I did some googling and I just don't get it about the bowl cut or the ok sign. Neither of those make sense to me.
Pretty much anything that offends someone is offensive. Well, so long as the offended party is on the left. I doubt anyone would care if *I* were offended ... after all, I'm a married (one time - with children), middle aged, middle class, heterosexual, conservative, Christian, white male - I am the very definition of evil!

quincy

Pretty much anything that offends someone is offensive. Well, so long as the offended party is on the left. I doubt anyone would care if *I* were offended ... after all, I'm a married (one time - with children), middle aged, middle class, heterosexual, conservative, Christian, white male - I am the very definition of evil!
Please don’t make this a left versus right debate. Extremists are extremists, period. Your bias is showing.

LdiJ

People are evil only if their actions are evil. I find it hard to believe that any of your actions would be evil, despite the fact that I lean towards the left these days.

CdwJava

Please don’t make this a left versus right debate. Extremists are extremists, period. Your bias is showing.
If so, it is a bias born of experience.

I agree that extremists are extremists, the problem is that the leftist extremists get support from the powers that be - powers that do not hide their disdain for dissenting views and give aid and comfort to those who commit violence. Antifa being a prime example. At least groups like BLM tend to leave their vehemence to threats of violence without openly engaging in it.

CdwJava

People are evil only if their actions are evil. I find it hard to believe that any of your actions would be evil, despite the fact that I lean towards the left these days.
If only others might agree. Sadly, too many are pronounced evil merely by who they are or what they do and not by their actions.

quincy

If so, it is a bias born of experience.

I agree that extremists are extremists, the problem is that the leftist extremists get support from the powers that be - powers that do not hide their disdain for dissenting views and give aid and comfort to those who commit violence. Antifa being a prime example. At least groups like BLM tend to leave their vehemence to threats of violence without openly engaging in it.
Aren’t the “powers that be” pretty far right?

Maybe this discussion - spawned by disneykid’s question but straying from it - should be picked up elsewhere (e.g., SMF)?

LdiJ

If only others might agree. Sadly, too many are pronounced evil merely by who they are or what they do and not by their actions.
Carl, that goes both ways. Look at undocumented immigrants. They are currently labeled as evil when the vast majority of them absolutely are not.

I will give you an example of a family that I know in the real world. Its a married couple and both of them were brought to the US as minors. They have three American born children. They work hard and pay taxes, including paying into the social security and medicare system even though they will never benefit from either of those systems. Their children have never been to Mexico even though they do speak the language. They are young teenagers and are no different than any other American teens. They speak English with a normal midwestern accent.

The couple owns their home free and clear, and also own a couple of rental properties that they purchased as investments. On top of that they provide money to their families at home that greatly supplement those family's incomes.

They are the hardest working, most fiscally responsible, most moral people I have ever known. They are regarded as "evil" by the alt right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">